Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Oh No! You forgot your Gmail password and need it back fast! The solution that may occur is to find out a Gmail Customer Service number. And an obvious way to find out this number will be to ask Professor Google himself. So a quick quick search will actually provide a host of toll-free numbers to call, including this one: 1-844-66x-xxxx. Problem solved right? All we have to do is call.

However if we do another search, but this one using the above phone number we will see that the same number also is for FaceBook Customer Service. Curious, no?

On calling this number one will immediately intimate that this is from some call center in India. But they are MORE than happy to help you- all you have to do is to go first to a major retailer (I assume the Retailer will change depending on the country you are calling from) and buy an ITunes card. When you have this, just call them back and give them the 16 digit security code. After that they will give you a new password, thank you and hang up.

Yes, indeed, you have just been scammed. And this scam does not just pertain to the number I gave above but also for the oodles and oodles of other such scam Customer Service numbers (and many of the FaceBook scam numbers are on FaceBook itself!) listed in Google search.

Although I am certain that no MT member would ever fall for this drivel, one must ask why multi-billion dollar companies like Google and Facebook would allow this crap to exist ON THEIR OWN SITES whose only purpose is to defraud their users.

End Rant...

W

Wave

I totally agree with you, that is so stupid...

I've seen this myself before so I know what you're talking about is true - the sad part about all of it is that there are people out there who really do need support and will bump into these numbers and call them thinking it's genuine, and guess what... They'll fall for it. o_O

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This format is also being employed as a IRS scam, has been for some time.
If they are sticking with it, it must be working.
Google and FB only give a ##### about their bottom line
and not protecting their users. One day those will be synonymous
and then they will fix it :rolleyes:

K

KGBagent47

It's not like Google can control or monitor their own Search engine....Oh wait never mind, I'm being told they can!

Reactions: Der.Reisende

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
That doesn' surprise me at all. Google fails to take action many websites that engage in malvertising, phishing and other sorts of scam. They don't usually take action unless somebody reports these websites. It's not in their interest to protect customers as no big business is lobbying for it (unlike the piracy issue, for example).

Reactions: shukla44
K

KGBagent47

That doesn' surprise me at all. Google fails to take action many websites that engage in malvertising, phishing and other sorts of scam. They don't usually take action unless somebody reports these websites. It's not in their interest to protect customers as no big business is lobbying for it (unlike the piracy issue, for example).
I think they do their part in blocking malware URLs but the tech scamming seems to go completely unabated.

Reactions: shukla44

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.