Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
GMER v.2.0 released:

gmer.jpg

GMER is an application that detects and removes rootkits .

It scans for:
hidden processes
hidden threads
hidden modules
hidden services
hidden files
hidden disk sectors (MBR)
hidden Alternate Data Streams
hidden registry keys
drivers hooking SSDT
drivers hooking IDT
drivers hooking IRP calls
inline hooks

New in version 2.0:
- Added support for Windows 8
- Added full support for Windows x64
- Added Trace I/O function
- Added disk "Quick scan" function

Homepage
Download

Enjoy!! :)

Reactions: Prorootect
D

Deleted member 178

i thought it was almost dead since Avast bought them for their engine , good to see it is still alive.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
I was Almost Forgot about this Tool... Once upon a time Gmer was our main removal tool for Rootkits and Tidserv infections...

It is nice to know Gmer is Still Alive.... :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I must be young or have never really used this because this is the first time I have seen this program (as far as I know) :).

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
My experience with this tool isn't that great.. LOTS of BSODs because of it :p

D

Deleted member 178

McLovin said:
I must be young or have never really used this because this is the first time I have seen this program (as far as I know) :).

old tool for old men :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
GMER is a tool for advanced users and PC techs, it is too difficult to use for the everyday user since it requires manual removal actions and advanced skills or you could really destroy Windows. Its technology has been used in many other rootkit removal tools but Avast was the first to acquire license to utilize its full features. Avast aswMBR on the other hand is user-friendly and automatically removes rootkits without much user action required and much less likely to cause problems with Windows. If you already use Avast antivirus by default it scans for rootkits at every system startup at the raw disk access level therefore you would not need to use this tool if you already use Avast antivirus.

Enjoy!!:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Littlebits said:
GMER is a tool for advanced users and PC techs, it is too difficult to use for the everyday user since it requires manual removal actions and advanced skills or you could really destroy Windows. Its technology has been used in many other rootkit removal tools but Avast was the first to acquire license to utilize its full features. Avast aswMBR on the other hand is user-friendly and automatically removes rootkits without much user action required and much less likely to cause problems with Windows. If you already use Avast antivirus by default it scans for rootkits at every system startup at the raw disk access level therefore you would not need to use this tool if you already use Avast antivirus.

Enjoy!!:D

Don't use Avast antivirus but I have heard of that cleaner that Avast has. Works well, didn't know though that it was from GMER. Added to my collection of tools none the less. :)

Dashke

Level 1
Feb 3, 2012
What tools do you use for removing rootkits if it's not Gmer? I don't know of any better anti-rootkit(rku maybe).

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks for the update, Updated my toolbox USB and added aswMBR (Thanks Littlebit)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
McAfee Stinger also has full automated rootkit removal. It uses AV engines and rootkit removal technologies from several different AV vendors as a part of Intel's partnerships with them. It is actually one of the best now for automated rootkit removal.

Thanks.:D

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
GMER along with TDSS killer is one of the best rootkit removers. I have used this quite a few times.
Does version 2 have new GUI. The old GUI simply is complex. But anyway it was not intended for noobs.
Thanks for the heads up. I will be adding the new version to my USB arsenal soon.

The only problem with McAfee Avert Stinger is it takes too long and also scans and removes only commonly known malware. I given up using stinger. In some cases Pandas active scan via internet seems to be faster. Bitdefender is one of the slowest online scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.