gofish1959 - new laptop config

gofish1959

Thread author
Feb 22, 2015
My primary visit here was to find out if I needed special care in removing Pokki and its winserverupdate.exe program. Which I believe has been successfully taken care of.

There is something that pops a screen with each boot which says it has modified the startup. This is next on the search & destroy list.

Reactions: tonibalas

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You could add a couple more on demand scanners such as Emsisoft Emergency kit,Herd protect & Hitman Pro
CCleaner or Privazer for privacy software
FF & Chrome extensions such as uBlock,HTTPS Everywhere,WOT,Quick Java
A password manager such as LastPass
What brand of Laptop?
You can remove all the crapware that comes installed using a 3rd party uninstaller such as IObit uninstaller or Revo uninstaller.These will scan for leftover files to make sure everything is deleted on uninstall
Just be careful not to uninstall anything that is needed.I usually leave some of the company provided programs.
Config looks good !! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Reactions: silversurfer

gofish1959

Thread author
Feb 22, 2015
You could add a couple more on demand scanners such as Emsisoft Emergency kit,Herd protect & Hitman Pro
CCleaner or Privazer for privacy software
FF & Chrome extensions such as uBlock,HTTPS Everywhere,WOT,Quick Java

Thank you for the tips. I will look into these.

A password manager such as LastPass

I really need to check out LastPass. I've been using Keepass because I can sync it to Android and iPAD. It seems there is always something to investigate :)

What brand of Laptop?

An acer Aspire E15. My intended use for it is to isolate it and not let it be generically used by my grandkids and husband for doing their things (playing games, generic surfing, and email).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Fine configuration :)

Non security related : Since you mention that may cause junks the try for defragmentation method, you may use built in from Windows or try 3rd party like Auslogics Disk Defrag which very good on detecting any fragments.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.