Good antivirus for a laptop?

Squeezy

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
I have been doing some research on laptops and decided to pick one depending on it's availability, warranty duration..etc.. anyways I can't afford to get infected since im going to be doing some casual work besides default windows security is pretty weak even against simple threats. Anyways i wont be using Avast or comodo. What are some other options?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Quihoo 360 total security is good if u want freeware. If u want paid one I recommend ESET or Kaspersky or Emisoft.

Reactions: marg and Squeezy

Squeezy

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
What about internet security? Also how reputable is Qihoo? Not trying to be offensive but even chinese AV vendors (such as Baidu) distribute malware occasionally.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
No matter what AV you use its still possible to get infected. Baidu is buggy on Win 7. 360 Internet Security is real good for free. I don't worry about them spying as good old Google & the NSA spies on you also.:eek: JMO.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
What about internet security? Also how reputable is Qihoo? Not trying to be offensive but even chinese AV vendors (such as Baidu) distribute malware occasionally.
They are pretty reliable as I see it.
I've never tried baidu so I wouldn't know about them.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Try these combos:
1.(Super Saver Combo): Avira AntiVir Free + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free + SpyShelter Free
2.(2nd Super Saver Combo): Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free + SpyShelter Free
3.(Optimal Performance): ESET Smart Security 7 + SpyShelter Premium
4.(Optimal Security): Kaspersky Internet Security + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free + SpyShelter Premium + Adguard
5.(A Lot Of Features): Norton 360/Bitdefender Total Security

Reactions: marg

Squeezy

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
No matter what AV you use its still possible to get infected. Baidu is buggy on Win 7. 360 Internet Security is real good for free. I don't worry about them spying as good old Google & the NSA spies on you also.:eek: JMO.

I didn't mean this sort of spying. I could careless about companies tracking me, seeing what I do online etc..but when an Antivirus is installed it has almost full access to your system which gives them the ability to "peek" at your files, passwords etc. This is what im concerned about, I don't really care about online privacy.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I would go with a good AV that is light on system resources. Eset fits that criteria.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Try these combos:
1.(Super Saver Combo): Avira AntiVir Free + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free + SpyShelter Free
2.(2nd Super Saver Combo): Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free + SpyShelter Free
3.(Optimal Performance): ESET Smart Security 7 + SpyShelter Premium
4.(Optimal Security): Kaspersky Internet Security + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free + SpyShelter Premium + Adguard
5.(A Lot Of Features): Norton 360/Bitdefender Total Security
What does SpyShelter do?

I've heard about them but never tried anything they may have.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Have u tried Adware free antivirus and Bitdefender free version. They might be prety light over your system

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If using Windows 8.1 I will only recommend that you use Windows default security features, third-party security products cause a lot of problems on Windows 8.1.

On Windows 7 or Vista:
1. Avast Free with Windows Firewall.
2. Avira Free with Windows Firewall.
3. AVG Free with Windows Firewall.
4. Panda Cloud with Windows Firewall.
5. Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows Firewall.

It is very important to only download files from safe and utilize UAC prompts (never approve anything unless you know it is safe), since no AV will be able to detect every single threat.

I don't recommend Qihoo 360 since its multiple AV engines detects far too many false positives and it is still fairly new, has bugs and no English support.

I don't recommend paid AV's because you can get infected just as easily using them, no proof they offer any better protection.
According to my experience of dealing with my customers paid AV didn't offer them any better protection.

If you don't know how to download files safely then learn use a "Limited User" account until you get it down.
No need to add a bloat load of security product to drag down your system and create problems.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: marg and WinXPert

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I don't recommend Qihoo 360 since its multiple AV engines detects far too many false positives and it is still fairly new, has bugs and no English support.
Enjoy!! :D

Qihoo IS takes only 18-19 MB ram in my system always & it doesn't eat any CPU usage. The reason is i disable bitdefender real time protection & it did the magic :D Lighter AV with good protection plus last time i contacted qihoo , they first replied me in Chinese but shouting at them for english support, the did replied me in english plus u can use translator to know their typo ;)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I would suggest Avira with MBAM (Avast or Comodo too but you've mentioned it in your OP)

I don't recommend paid AV's because you can get infected just as easily using them, no proof they offer any better protection.
According to my experience of dealing with my customers paid AV didn't offer them any better protection.

I agree with this one, I've repaired a desktop and a laptop before with a paid AV. You can use free coupled with good surfing habit and common sense, it will fare better

Reactions: marg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.