hunterxaga

Thread author
Aug 4, 2012
My Pc specification :

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit
Dual Core 2.1 GHz
RAM 2GB

among the three antivirus that I have, which should I use
Avira Free, AVG Internet security 2012, or Avast free??

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Avast: Most features out of the three and recently the most popular out of the three However, Avast recently has been average in protection and its sandbox needs improvement, Detection is average.
AVG: Second Most in features of the three, Protection is average on most days, and could use improvement. Detection is average.
Avira: Least features of the three, Detections are great, Protection is Poor due to lack of features, needs improvement. But decent in removal.

hunterxaga

Thread author
Aug 4, 2012
3link9 said:
Avast: Most features out of the three and recently the most popular out of the three However, Avast recently has been average in protection and its sandbox needs improvement, Detection is average.
AVG: Second Most in features of the three, Protection is average on most days, and could use improvement. Detection is average.
Avira: Least features of the three, Detections are great, Protection is Poor due to lack of features, needs improvement. But decent in removal.

o you think,which one I was more appropriate to use ??

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Well AVG Internet Security 2012 is a paid product which includes a firewall so if you wish to spend some money on that, Then go for it. But there are better paid products out there, Imo.

If not, Then stay with Avast.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
If you are not that savvy pertinent to false positives and pop-up windows nagging you, I would definitely go with Avast. The protection is top tier and anyone can use it, including your grandma or kid. It is what my son uses. He likes it a lot. Make sure you use "gaming mode" so you won't have to hear it telling you about updates that were recently installed.

It is my humble opinion that AVG is a joke. I used it for several years, but then I learned of Avast and Avira. I also learned how inferior AVG is and was. Then again, I know people that have used it for a couple of years with no infections to report and their PC's work fine.

It seems like viruses are becoming a thing of the past except for the occasional "noisy" exploit. Rootkits and rogues seem to be the most prevalent malware. Nonetheless, Avast is a necessity, IMHO.

I would complement it with MBAM free and HitMan Pro (at times there are many false postivies with HitMan Pro, so be careful what you remove. Turn off COOKIE DETECTION).

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
In this situation Trend won't be any good :p

I would go for Avast and or Comodo Internet Security if your looking for a free alternative, but if you want pay, Norton.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
I think it would be easier to decide if you tell what kind of a user you are, basically all the top antivirus are good, one will have to choose depending upon the kind of use system use, like for a gamer a good antivirus would be pretty different from a person who only surfs legit websites life facebook, twitter etc.

So i think it would be better if you explain the kind of user you are !!

P

Plexx

AVG Identify protection and Resident shield basically make up for the not so high detection rates.

CIS 5.10 can still be used on a normal user on stock settings, unless risk of infection is High.

Avast, I have had my opinions about some modules, so based on that I don;t particularly recommend.

Avira, it would be easier if the user on windows 7 professional up to have the nag screen disabled. Note that I still can't make Avira to think that toolbar is installed, despite the numerous attemps to follow the toolbar guide word by word... at least on home premium.

Bare in mind that CIS potential is not detection rate, its prevention.
AVG is in the middle ground.
Avira is on detection rates
avast!, well was detection rate but somewhat lacking now, stock settings of sandbox is a ticking timebomb at times, requires tweaking...

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
I have my own choices and dis-likes so..

If you want free,user friendly,very good preventer,constant product improver choose avast! I use avast on my PC itself and i have test it everyday with malware packs from malwares.pl and many more places detection rates have risen since last version either way there is no way to exact detection rates as there are un-countable pieces of malware out there..My opinion is the same as ZOU1...Flash up a VM and test it against links from MDL,malware black list,VXVault and minatour analysis...and you will realize what we both mean.:D At MalwareTips everybody has same opinion on avast's protection skills..detection rate is around 80 to 85% in my tests against a lot of packs including from here..sometimes VPS late releases causes a sudden drop down but comes up again in next update.watch a review: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-avast-Internet-Security-7-Test-biozfear14

if u want non user-friendly,HIPS based,anti-malware time bomb choose CIS.

Paid choices- KIS,Norton and the list goes on and on.

Avira-It slowed down my pc boot time and the program randomly crashed in between...and it told me to remove COMODO FW/D+ and MBAM ...so i had to go back to avast! tested avira with a 0-day fakeAV URL and it failed...tested with same URL against avast and it blocked it..avira has a great database with malware that has been around for a few days...but it lacks a URL blocker that most AV's use against 0-day Malicious URL's and i have seen avira web guard is totally dependent on signatures so its practically useless installing the web guard with that annoying toolbar which i hate!!avira is yet a very good product though and can give other AV's a run for their lives in many cases

Remember: there is no best protection except you and b) your brain

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think you can skip past that recommendation from Avira 2012 installer.

Just curious, did you experience slow downs with Avira and Comodo Firewall installed, or just Avira 2012.

Shibu said:
Avira-It slowed down my pc boot time and the program randomly crashed in between...and it told me to remove COMODO FW/D+ and MBAM ...so i had to go back to avast! tested avira with a 0-day fakeAV URL and it failed...tested with same URL against avast and it blocked it..avira has a great database with malware that has been around for a few days...but it lacks a URL blocker that most AV's use against 0-day Malicious URL's

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
Earth said:
Just curious, did you experience slow downs with Avira and Comodo Firewall installed, or just Avira 2012.
You beat me for my opinion :D avira web guard i didnt install it at the start them i later installed it to see how it works..

I am paranoid!i choose the secure start...and with keeping everything else disabled avira slowed down the startup terribly..screen remained black for atleast 10 to 15 seconds after starting windows process in win7
But you know that every system is different from the other and every system is unique...There is no 100% that this must happen for all other system too..I have done some testing.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
In my opinion
if you want a paid product with good detection , decent web blocker , light on system and good for gaming than i would recommend ESET
if you want a free product then you should either try avast or comodo
if you want to maybe increase your protection you can try avast with comodo firewall (you can find lot of guides on how to set them both to work)

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
I would recommend Avira or Avast out of the three you had mentioned. Personally, I would recommend Panda Cloud + MBAM Pro if you want very light, unobtrusive, and secure setup. MBAM Pro is a one buy, lifetime license so it is indeed an awesome deal!

Additional protection (to suggested config): Norton DNS, ESET Online scanner, and/or Hitman Pro

Or you can try Umbra's super defensive setup. :D

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
I would Say try them all...and choose what works for you :)

Try avast/free/paid

try avira/free/paid

try avg/free/paid

try eset

then choose what's best for you.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Earth said:
I think you can skip past that recommendation from Avira 2012 installer.

Shibu said:
Avira-It slowed down my pc boot time and the program randomly crashed in between...and it told me to remove COMODO FW/D+ and MBAM ...so i had to go back to avast! tested avira with a 0-day fakeAV URL and it failed...tested with same URL against avast and it blocked it..avira has a great database with malware that has been around for a few days...but it lacks a URL blocker that most AV's use against 0-day Malicious URL's

Earth Don't you think that its a repeat of same thing with same unbiased/biased view about avast and avira.
Its Non-sense to talk about anything to a person who don't want to understand or believe what the society/community view.
P.S. I myself is using both avast is and avira is on my two computers and I have no complain on either,both doing their job well with no slowdown.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
Stranger said:
Earth Don't you think that its a repeat of same thing with same unbiased/biased view about avast and avira.

It was my opinion and my experience..so i just shared it with the OP..i never bashed avira and avast..its yet very good i said that in my previous comment...Actually the people on here are making unbiased proofless things here and its not me..Sorry but You people gave me a work.:(

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Shibu said:
Stranger said:

It was my opinion and my experience..so i just shared it with the OP..i never bashed avira and avast..its yet very good i said that in my previous comment...Actually the people on here are making unbiased proofless things here and its not me..Sorry but You people gave me a work.:(

Don't take it personally as I have nothing against you and I respect all members and specially people like you who are very friendly with other members.
My point of view is only that we should not criticize product "A" because we like product "B"

hunterxaga

Thread author
Aug 4, 2012
madyrocksin said:
I think it would be easier to decide if you tell what kind of a user you are, basically all the top antivirus are good, one will have to choose depending upon the kind of use system use, like for a gamer a good antivirus would be pretty different from a person who only surfs legit websites life facebook, twitter etc.

So i think it would be better if you explain the kind of user you are !!

i'm a gamer and like surfs...
i'm using avast now

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
You can try the Norton + Comodo Firewall but if you want free protection install AVG/AVAST.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Free AV's were available always on the corner and they have pros and cons for it. It depends which product you would like to choose.

If you want more features/ components with better detection capabilities then go for AVG or Avast (likely Avast does have more features added on their product)

Or if you want a concentrated fully detection rates then Avira Free would design for it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.