Question Good Free Firewall with Malicious Outbound Blocking?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
No, not only .exe files can connect to the internet. Other file types, such as .dll and .sys, can also establish internet connections. Additionally, scripts can connect to the internet without the need for an .exe file, as they can use interpreters or scripting engines to execute their code and establish connections.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Also, Do only .exe files can connect to the Internet and scripts must use .exe to be able to connect?
For scripts, this malware variants usually does abuse "LOLbins" for outbound connections, here this link to check for related files: LOLBAS

I can recommend this tool "FirewallHardening" by @Andy Ful he does still kindly add new LOLbins reported from known malware attack vectors...

Azazel

Level 5
Thread author
Jun 15, 2023
Supposed I am using Default Deny Security Such as Smart App Control.
I will be covered from Executables vector (exe, dll, sys) by having an Outgoing connection because they will be blocked all together.
So I will just need Firewall Hardening Tool to block LOLBins and Scripts.
Am I Cover with this Setup, or Do I need an additional layer to block legitimate executables from connecting to Malicious urls and IPs.
Do antivirus 's web protection cover such threats?

Reactions: piquiteco and Kongo

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I like this one: Windows Firewall Control by Malwarebytes.
I am running Windows Firewall Control + H_C here and all LOLbins blocked and it has been working without any problems. ;)
1689802970580.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.