Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Searching for 'GIMP' on Google as recently as last week would show visitors an ad for 'GIMP.org,' the official website of the well known graphics editor, GNU Image Manipulation Program.

This ad would appear to be legitimate as it'd state 'GIMP.org' as the destination domain. But clicking on it drove visitors to a lookalike phishing website that provided them with a 700 MB executable disguised as GIMP which, in reality, was malware.

'GIMP' malvertising abuses Google ads

Up until last week, googling for 'GIMP' would bring up a Google ad that'd appear to take you to the open source graphics editor's official website 'GIMP.org.'

Problematic Google ad leading visitors to GIMP phishing site

But instead this malvertising campaign drove visitors to a lookalike, phishing page delivering a malicious 'Setup.exe' that appeared to be the GIMP utility for Windows.

Fake GIMP site

Stenographers

Level 2
Nov 11, 2022
Lately Google search has become less and less useful to me. The number of ads, and the placement of them, keeps getting more pervasive. This is just another example of how ads in search engines are a bad idea. If I had it my way ads in search engines would be illegal. Not to mention the security risk of a corporation owning a profile on you built from all your search terms. It isn't /if/ it will be abused, it is /when./ DuckDuckGo doesn't have a perfect track record, but at least they let you turn the ads off in their settings.

Reactions: show-Zi and upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.