Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
If you're an Android user, there is a good chance that you use the Chrome browser on your device. Look, I get it, it can be easier and more seamless to use all Google apps. Me? I use Firefox on my Nexus 6. Why? I find it to be a better experience from a speed perspective -- scrolling is very fluid. More importantly though, I enjoy using plugins, such as Lastpass.

Today, however, I noticed something odd. When clicking a link to the Play Store in Firefox for Android, I did not see the app store. No, I instead saw an error message that Firefox was no longer supported. In other words, Google has flagged the user agent for Firefox, thereby blocking it from the web version Play Store. Disgusting.

What makes this a horrible practice, is that Firefox is capable of displaying the site. If you change the user agent, you can access it and all is well. Google is deciding that it doesn't want the mobile version of Firefox accessing its precious Play Store on the web.

ssffdroid-337x600.jpg

What ultimately makes this a scary thing, is that Google develops its own browser, Chrome. Blocking Firefox is anti-competitive behavior, and quite frankly, goes against Google's original pledge to do no evil. Blocking Firefox is evil, end of story.

Firefox's solution of handling the Play Store was genius too, and I loved it. You could launch the Play Store app from the web version at any time by clicking on a little icon in the address bar.

I have reached out to Google for an explanation, but have received no response. I will update the story if and when the company does.

Reactions: Dani Santos

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
"Google Play Store was being blocked from the mobile view in the Firefox browser for Android. Switch to the desktop view, however, and everything worked fine.

However, Google has told Android Central that it's no more than a bug, and it should be fixed soon."

Link to article

Reactions: oneeye

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why not use the Play Store app instead? Remember Android isn't a desktop OS like Windows or OSX.

Title is misleading as Firefox is available for download on Play Store.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It makes the life more complicated at all ;) :D

That's all I can say, + seems non-logical result taken.

ikkigooners

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2014
I think the title somehow misleading, at first I thought that Firefox is not available anymore in Play Store a.k.a removed. But after I read it, I realize the real problem.

Reactions: oneeye and Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.