Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Google: Unwanted bundled software is way more aggressive than malware:

According to Google, it issues three times as many unwanted software warnings than malware warnings, much of which relates to adware and browser-hijacking software that's been sneakily bundled with legitimate software.

Ad affiliate networks know that people rarely read terms and conditions and exploit this failing by burying details about bundled software in the text of their consent form. Consumers may not want the additional software, but their consent allows the affiliate marketer to operate legally

The researchers found the pay-per-install industry has just a few hundred players, but argue its decentralized nature "encourages advertisers to focus solely on monetizing users upon installation and for publishers to maximize conversion, irrespective of the final user experience"

They also found that 59 percent of bundles are flagged by at least one antivirus engine as potentially unwanted, and that some packages are built not to install when the presence of antivirus has been detected. Key security products checked for include ESET, Avast, AVG, McAfee, Avira, and Symantec.

Read the full article at the link at the top of the page.

MT members:
Have you been the victim of unwanted bundled software/Browser extensions?
Maybe "Candy Crush" with Windows 10,or "GeekBuddy" with Comodo..
What was bundled with your download?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Voted Once Or Twice,
back before I knew better I didn't keep a good eye out for things like this, now you have to.
I am very watchful now and I don't use it like I should but I have Reason Core :oops:
I need to stop being lazy and reinstall it :)
But Bundling used to mostly be comprised of spam apps and other harmless junk,
now days there are far more intrusive and dangerous things hiding in there.
Thanks Logethica cool post.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the share :)

I voted Yes-Once or Twice.

I was a young penguin without knowlgement :oops:
Now, for years, I block and verify so many things that it would be almost impossible (thanks to Shadow defender)

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks for the share :)

I voted Yes-Once or Twice.

I was a young penguin without knowlgement :oops:
Now, for years, I block and verify so many things that it would be almost impossible (thanks to Shadow defender)
Thanks @DardiM :)..
Haha...You made me picture you as a young penguin.:D..(A Young Bruce Wayne-Penguin)
Shadow Defender?:confused:......I thought that Bat-Penguin had Robin-Penguin and Alfred-Penguin to help him:D

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The problem for those unwanted programs is because of agreement between security programs.

Those behavior are already been on the whitelist just for the sake of partnership, hence the behavior are more worse than malware itself.

Likely my incident is only one time way back 10 years ago.

Reactions: Logethica

zeusc4

Level 4
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
Yeah misleading title. However Google do some in their android Google play services. Vendor/manufacturers can't choose Google play store & it's associated services to install. If manufacturers want to install Google play store, then whole package of Google apps need to install.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.