Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I did some testing in a virtual machine (Win 7) using malicious URL's from the Comodo siteinspector recent detections and other malware urls found on the net (malwaredomainlist.com etc). When using Internet explorer, Comodo detected the malware (it could detect) immediately and warned me. What's strange is that when testing same urls using Google Chrome, CIS never reported anything on all malicious sites I visited. After that, If I scan via context menu the whole chrome cache folder, CIS will detect the malware inside the files. Why this?
Am I protected if those files that remain in chrome cache run sometime (will CIS detect them)? I couldn't manage to find any malicious activity on the system after those visits despite CIS ignoring the malicious files in cache and many scanners I ran did not find anything malicious on the rest system so I want your help on this. xD
(sorry for my English)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my understanding those caches could be harmless as isn't run through memory or processes so you always clear it after close the browser.

Default settings can capable to protect in unwanted changes but with HIPS havw more advance method.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Nikos751 said:
I did some testing in a virtual machine (Win 7) using malicious URL's from the Comodo siteinspector recent detections and other malware urls found on the net (malwaredomainlist.com etc). When using Internet explorer, Comodo detected the malware (it could detect) immediately and warned me. What's strange is that when testing same urls using Google Chrome, CIS never reported anything on all malicious sites I visited. After that, If I scan via context menu the whole chrome cache folder, CIS will detect the malware inside the files. Why this?
Am I protected if those files that remain in chrome cache run sometime (will CIS detect them)? I couldn't manage to find any malicious activity on the system after those visits despite CIS ignoring the malicious files in cache and many scanners I ran did not find anything malicious on the rest system so I want your help on this. xD
(sorry for my English)

Might be just professional courtesy? Hard to tell the difference between Google and malware.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
It's not a solution for me to clear the cache everytime I close the browser. DrBeenGolfing, what do you mean by saying "professional courtesy"?

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I do know that Comodo scans all files which are just about to access the memory (by that I mean it scans all files which are about to run). Also, I've witnessed that its detection of files about to run is more effective, probably because of heuristics, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.