Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Go to Website [Family Link]
With the Family Link app from Google, you can stay in the loop as your kid explores on their Android* device. Family Link lets you create a Google Account for your kid that’s like your account, while also helping you set certain digital ground rules that work for your family — like managing the apps your kid can use, keeping an eye on screen time, and setting a bedtime on your kid’s device.

Family Link is available by invitation only to parents of kids under 13 years old. To get started, you’ll need:
  • To create a Google Account for your kid through Family Link.
  • A compatible Android device for your kid*.
  • Your own Android device.
  • Your own Google Account.
  • To be in the U.S.
How it Works and Review (by Mashable):
  1. Google opens up to kids under 13 with Family Link
  2. Hands on with Google Family Link

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I would like a recommendation for a good family monitoring app or service for PC. I am interested in the web content filtering.
Presently am using Norton Family, which you can install as a free stand-alone app. It works pretty good, but is not compatible with certain security softs.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would like a recommendation for a good family monitoring app or service for PC. I am interested in the web content filtering.
Presently am using Norton Family, which you can install as a free stand-alone app. It works pretty good, but is not compatible with certain security softs.
For PC only or Mobile too? What devices and operating systems?

Reactions: frogboy

larry goes to church

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
With the rise of use of these devices it was only a matter of time before real parental control was given to them.
This is a GREAT Feature.

Google scores another W in my book.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just a Windows 10 PC. No mobile.
I am trying out SafeLagoon, seems to work.
There is also a Chrome extension called tinyFilter web filter free.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am trying out SafeLagoon, seems to work.
There is also a Chrome extension called tinyFilter web filter free.
After a while, Safe Lagoon started to slow down and even block my internet connection. Their Windows PC app is still in beta; they are mainly for mobile devices. That's what they told me.

I tried Qustodio but their content filtering doesn't seem to work very well.

K-9 is good, but it has an issue with secure connections.

Microsoft Family can't filter Chrome, and Norton Family can't filter Edge.

So basically, if you want free content filtering of this type, you can combo K-9 + Microsoft Family + Norton Family, and you are covered pretty well.

There is also OpenDNS FamilyShield, but I wasn't able to test it out very well -- my other softs were already blocking out all questionable content.

Reactions: Andy Ful

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I find that Kaspersky Parental Control is pretty good.

Reactions: Andy Ful
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.