Google guarantees Android version updates for its Pixel phones until 2018

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Google has confirmed that its new Pixel phones will get Android version updates for the next two years. On its Check & update your Android versionsupport page, the company says that the devices will get guaranteed updates until October 2018.

"Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device became available on the Google Store," Google says. "After 2 years, we can't guarantee additional updates."

As for security patches, the Mountain View, California-based company says the Pixel phones will get security updates "for at least 3 years from when the device first became available, or at least 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device, whichever is longer."

Reactions: Logethica

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I'm okay with 2-3 update support. Anyway all my phones can't last more than 2 years though. Mostly died due to battery performance deterioration and dead pixels.:D

Reactions: Logethica

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
It's not good. Nexus phones had 18 months sotware support, so Pixels have only 6 months more? Look at the price of these phone... It should easily be 3 years of updated.

siren05

Level 2
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Samsung phones in this price range almost have zero updates on time.

I think 2 years is good enough considering the people who spend this much money on a phone dont keep it for more than 2 years. Will affect the resale value though, but besides iphone, i dont see android having a good resale value.

I still have my Samsung s4, i will be upgrading to the iphone 7 plus. If i going for android, its gonna be the pixel.

I am tired of samsung lack of updates and hardware support. I think Pixel is the better phone in Android today, they have a great apple like aftersales support. I hope they continue to better with new hardware design next year.

Last edited:

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014

I think 2 years is good enough considering the people who spend this much money on a phone dont keep it for more than 2 years. Will affect the resale value though, but besides iphone, i dont see android having a good resale value.

I still have my Samsung s4, i will be upgrading to the iphone 7 plus. If i going for android, its gonna be the pixel.

I am tired of samsung lack of updates and hardware support. I think Pixel is the better phone in Android today, they have a great apple like aftersales support. I hope they continue to better with new hardware design next year.
I akso have a S4 and agree with you but belueve all users deserve way longer updates!
Windows, Linux update their system for a decade , emwhy can't Google do the same?
I'm ready to pay for an Android update after 2 years but not at all for a new phone because of lack of updates!!!

Reactions: siren05

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016

Software support for iPhones is much better
I akso have a S4 and agree with you but belueve all users deserve way longer updates!
Windows, Linux update their system for a decade , emwhy can't Google do the same?
I'm ready to pay for an Android update after 2 years but not at all for a new phone because of lack of updates!!!
Let's just say that Google wants to be a new Apple with the Pixels but Apple provides better update support.

Reactions: Solarquest

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
These shows that Google are going to implement much rapid new smartphones meanwhile Apple products have better support updates.

2 years is not bad however equivalent to nearly Android One brands which Pixels should suppose to be special.

-----

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Pixel is the best Android phone you can get, still second rate compared to the iPhone 7's.

Apple has latest iOS for iPhone 5, that is 4+ YEARS later, not just security patch updates.

Reactions: Solarquest

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I waited for the pixel and had big expectations...it's a great phone but unfortunately not stellar...and for what it is and for just 2 years of updates too expensive.
Performance is important to me but security even more...I'm not willing to change a phone every 2 years just for updates.
I'll have to buy a cheaper one that offers updates, even if not as fast as on pixel, or the IPhone, even if I'm not an IPhone fan.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.