Security News Google last again in Android antivirus ranking (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Google Play Protect does not protect Android devices against malware attacks very well according to latest test results of German company AV-Test. The result confirms previous tests that AV Test and AV Comparatives conducted to test protective capabilities of Android security solutions.

Play Protect is the built-in malware protection for Android that powers more than two billion devices according to Google. The protective functionality is baked into Android and uses machine learning algorithms to improve in real time according to Google. The service scans more than 50 billion apps every day according to Google.

You can check "My apps & games" section of the official Google Play application to find out if Play Protect detects security related issues on the device and when it last scanned apps on the device. It is furthermore possible to start scans with a tap on the reload button.

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
We've seen a lot of rogue Google Chrome extensions in the lab throughout 2017 and 2018.

It's actually quite appalling given Google spend a lot of resources to point out other companies flaws (i.e Microsoft). It isn't like Google do not have the financial support to provide more care to their own digital web store. Their digital web store is supposed to be a friendly/family environment, but in reality it is far from it.

Google do not provide sufficient security audits on new Android application/Google Chrome extension submissions.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I do run Trend across all my devices, and haven't had a problem, but on that thought I rarely do anything but the normal Snapchat, Facebook and Instagram. Most of the time I just use an on mobile to keep my messages in check.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I think companies like Google and MS actually deliberately make their security softs weak because its makes easy for them to collect data from the users. Otherwise, they have so much resources in hand they can easily make a good security soft or even buy an existing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.