Google May Stop Using 'Cookies' to Track Web Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Google May Stop Using 'Cookies' to Track Web Users : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324807704579083723267549160.html

Instead of using tiny trackers that dozens of companies attach to websites to monitor people's browsing, Google is considering a switch to a system that would create its own anonymous identifier for each individual, a Google official said Wednesday. ..

.. In the debate over online privacy, cookies have been under attack. Some consumers are nervous about tracking, and don't like that cookies can see what they are doing or pass their information to third parties, enabling firms to develop increasingly detailed profiles of consumer behavior.

This year, Mozilla announced plans to launch an automatic cookie blocking feature on its Firefox browser. Microsoft Corp. launched a default "Do Not Track" feature on its latest Internet Explorer browser. Apple Inc.'s Safari browser has blocked cookies since 2003. Google has resisted efforts to block cookies on its Chrome browser. ..

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i was just readin on this over at Ghacks. if this gets implemented with no turn-off option i will completely ditch chrome for good. this is crossing the line for me.
i will probably stop using all google products at once, at this point apple products actually looks safe! heh even after they tried to track all iphone users...

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
woomera said:
i was just readin on this over at Ghacks. if this gets implemented with no turn-off option i will completely ditch chrome for good. this is crossing the line for me.
i will probably stop using all google products at once, at this point apple products actually looks safe! heh even after they tried to track all iphone users...

There will be those that will create add-ons and tools to stop these "anonymous" identifiers for each individual much like there is with tools such as Ghostery to stop various trackers and cookies.

If it is not avoidable with no opt-out I will ditch all Google services aswell. Anonymous or not, I don't want to be tracked.

android

Sep 24, 2013
I will sure as hell ditch as much of Google as possible too if there's no option for opting out. especially if such a tracker is directly connected to your identity in any way.
maybe its just a step further into desensitizing people into giving up more of their privacy...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Softpedia: Microsoft Working on Technology to Replace Cookies, Track Windows Users

The technology in question is said to be in the early development stages at this point, but once it gets the green light, it could completely replace cookies and help Microsoft track users across Windows, Bing, Internet Explorer, Windows Phone, and even Xbox consoles.

Ad Age is reporting that Microsoft’s cookie replacement could be used to deliver more relevant ads to users, while also guaranteeing a superior level of privacy, as Redmond would be the only company responsible for dealing with consumer data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.