Google says Microsoft Edge isn't secure. I asked Google why

Antus67

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
Is Google a touch upset about Microsoft's new browser? Then again, why does Microsoft insist apps from the Google Chrome web store mess up Edge? I asked both companies.
Here on the left coast, we believe in passive aggression.

We gush over how open, friendly and humanistic we are. This gives us permission to dismiss everything and everyone that makes us uncomfortable. With deeply sincere words of distancing. Or even heartfelt ghosting

I'm curiously moved, therefore, by the current behavior of Google toward Microsoft Edge, Redmond's new browser. Oh, and by Microsoft's behavior toward Google's Chrome web store.

Let's start with Google. The company that used to be a symbol of insecurity is suddenly filled with deep fright.

As Windows Latest spotted, Google is helpfully telling those who try to access the Chrome web store via Edge to think again.

"Google recommends switching to Chrome to use extensions securely," says a pop-up.

Oh, so Edge is insecure? That's terrible.

Oddly, when I tried the browser, I found it a touch faster and privacy-friendlier than Google's. It didn't seem so insecure. Why would Google be so worried on my behalf?

Worse, Techdows reported that Google is also offering more desperate warnings for users of Google Docs, Google News and Google Translate. The essential message: don't pair these with Edge.

This verged on terrible mean-spiritedness, I feared. After all, Edge is based on Google's own Chromium platform.

Just as I was about to punish Google by using Bing for a day, another piece of troubling information assaulted me.

According to PC World, Microsoft is apparently telling those who use Edge and go to the Chrome web store to get an extension: "Extensions installed from sources other than the Microsoft Store are unverified, and may affect browser performance."

Can't we rely on anything these days?

Naturally, I instantly contacted Google to ask in what way Edge was insecure. Without pausing for breath or to curse at the new space bar issues with my MacBook Air, I asked Microsoft why extensions from the Chrome store might make Edge a little edgy.

I went to get a coffee. I had a couple of meetings. I went to the gym. I had a meeting with an RSA attendee who is clearly enabling the surveillance state. (She claimed otherwise.)

Still nothing from Google. And nothing from Microsoft.

The next day, I went to get coffee again, wrote a little, had a couple more meetings and watched two episodes of House Hunters International. As well as eating a little sushi.

Still, nothing from Google. But suddenly, a confirmation from Microsoft that it wouldn't offer official comment.

My sniffings around Google suggest the company may have been taken aback by the positive public reaction to Edge. Oddly, Google doesn't seem to be offering these scary messages to users of, say, the Opera browser.

My nasal probings around Redmond offer the reasoning that, well, Microsoft hasn't tested or verified extensions that arrive from places other than they Microsoft Edge add-ons website. Why, they're far too busy to do that. And, well, it's the Chrome web store. Who knows what you'll find over there? Oh, and Edge gives you more control over your data, so there.

Could it be, then, that Google is being vacuously childish and trying to scare people into resisting the lures of Microsoft's browser handiwork? Could it also be that Microsoft is doing something rather similar in either retaliation or merely homage to the brutally competitive instincts of social activist Bill Gates?

Could it be that both of these companies should pause to examine their consciences, go sit in a corner and embrace their customers' needs and choices a touch more fully?

Source:Google says Microsoft Edge isn't secure. I asked Google why | ZDNet

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

The sad part is this is exactly what it is, Google being childish about the new Edge. I said way back when MS first released it for testing, if any browser was going to challenge Chrome in any way, this was going to be the one. Can't deny it, MS did an excellent job with this browser, probably the best one they have ever done.

Security wide they are pretty much equal, so I dont see the issue. I do have to agree with MS though about their notice on extensions from the Chrome webstore. They have no control what apps are allowed on the store, that's all on Google. MS atleast can control their store, so I can see their point even if it's a little childish too.

I guess this also brings up the point of open source. While it sounds good in theory and makes sense from a philosophy stand point, MS has every right like every other chromium based browser to do this, as Chromium is open source. If anything Google did this to themselves by making Chromium open source. It's a good lesson IMHO in realizing that open source isnt all peaches and rose's, there are some negatives and maybe it's worth thinking about before making something open source.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
The sad part is this is exactly what it is, Google being childish about the new Edge. I said way back when MS first released it for testing, if any browser was going to challenge Chrome in any way, this was going to be the one. Can't deny it, MS did an excellent job with this browser, probably the best one they have ever done.

Security wide they are pretty much equal, so I dont see the issue. I do have to agree with MS though about their notice on extensions from the Chrome webstore. They have no control what apps are allowed on the store, that's all on Google. MS atleast can control their store, so I can see their point even if it's a little childish too.

I guess this also brings up the point of open source. While it sounds good in theory and makes sense from a philosophy stand point, MS has every right like every other chromium based browser to do this, as Chromium is open source. If anything Google did this to themselves by making Chromium open source. It's a good lesson IMHO in realizing that open source isnt all peaches and rose's, there are some negatives and maybe it's worth thinking about before making something open source.

No.
The Mixed Content Handling Test shows that in Chromium / Edge mixed audio and video content is loaded while in Chrome it is updated to HTTPS.
In Chromium/Edge it is not possible to eliminate the insecure chipers Suites because the corresponding Command Line Switches are not working.

I haven't done any other tests.
It is therefore highly probable that there are other differences.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

No.
The Mixed Content Handling Test shows that in Chromium / Edge mixed audio and video content is loaded while in Chrome it is updated to HTTPS.
In Chromium/Edge it is not possible to eliminate the insecure chipers Suites because the corresponding Command Line Switches are not working.

I haven't done any other tests.
It is therefore highly probable that there are other differences.

Thats fair, but i never said their aren't differences. Both are based on Chromium, so as along as MS is keeping up with the updates, I cant see their being major glaring issues. Hopefully with time some of those issues may be addressed, but unless someone proves that there are major security gaps between the two, I think it's safe to say they pretty much equal.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
There's this too...

... which I've grown weary of (looking at Adblock manual filter to handle this).

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
Chrome has been in development for longer and probably has fewer hidden and not yet found security bugs.
This at least statistically.
It will be interesting if Chromium/ Edge will undergo a security bypass in the future that will not involve Chrome.

B

BVLon

Google is afraid of losing its market position and will do everything it takes to retain it. It is not the first time they are pushing alerts, with content that can raise eyebrows and questions. It’s just a marketing bs.

The war between Google and Microsoft is not today’s news, we know about it for ages now.
It’s not a secret to anyone what, or more likely, who caused the Windows Mobile’s termination.

Edge is now a severe threat, as it’s fast, secure (maybe not as secure as Chrome, haven’t tested it) and a good all-rounder. It offers interesting approach to people’s privacy and is also infused with the Microsoft’s Smart Screen, which Google in combination with Eset won’t beat.
Over the time, the number of Chrome’s active users will continue to decline.
It should be perfectly clear that Google’s success was possible only because of Microsoft’s failure.

Existing Chrome’s users however are unlikely to change. It’s just new users will be unlikely to bother with additional downloads and installs. The success of Chrome is also threatened by the Huawei-Trump debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
That Google is pointing an accusatory finger at Edge while its own house has skeletons is a very telling thing. To be sure, Edge did have some growing pains in the recent past--but was Chrome iron-clad when it first came out? Microsoft stopped reinventing the wheel when legacy Edge was dropped and now the competition is more on level ground. Groovy.

Old "public announcement about safety" marketing trick but it's Google and this still commands awe and acceptance from many.

B

BVLon

All of them are insecure on different levels.
One pointing finger at another just feels ridiculous.

This kind of message should include “Why?” at the bottom and take me to a detailed explanation how it is less secure. Otherwise I take it as powder in my eyes.

This Google and Apple dominance and desperate attempts to stay on top are really pissing me off and, I hope Huawei will be able to dethrone them both.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

All of them are insecure on different levels.
One pointing finger at another just feels ridiculous.

This kind of message should include “Why?” at the bottom and take me to a detailed explanation how it is less secure. Otherwise I take it as powder in my eyes.

This Google and Apple dominance and desperate attempts to stay on top are really pissing me off and, I hope Huawei will be able to dethrone them both.

That's just it.

They all have their pros and cons and every single one will have security holes that have to be patched. Typically every Chrome update is full of security fixes, so..... it's not immune to vulnerabilities.

This is your typical "oh crap we will actually lose users, how can we hold on to this?"

Let's be real here, for all of MS failings on the browser side of things, they got this one right and in a big way IMHO. So while I was a Chrome user I don't see the need to use it, I'm sticking with the new Edge. As I said earlier, while its probably safe to assume that Google never expected MS to adopt Chromium, it does show the down side of open source. If this was closed source, we would be here discussing this, but yet here we are. I'm not against open source what's so ever, but it just highlights potential cons and Google they can't do anything about it as MS is allowed to do this, as it's open source.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Chrome is the new Internet Explorer and Google always try to push their own browser, instead of make their sites browser compatible / use web standards.

Also i think the reason why they only *attack* Microsoft is: only Microsoft remove and/ or replace all Google stuff from this Chromium, which nobody else do.
Who cares about Opera, Vivaldi, .. anyway. Only Microsoft can get it and Google know that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.