Google Security Engineer Claims Android Is Now As Secure as the iPhone

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It’s a common assumption among tech geeks, and even cybersecurity experts, that if you are really paranoid, you should probably use an iPhone, and not Android. But the man responsible for securing the more than one billion Android users on the planet vehemently disagrees—but of course he would.

“For almost all threat models,” Adrian Ludwig, the director of security at Android, referring to the level of security needed by most people, “they are nearly identical in terms of their platform-level capabilities.”

In a short interview after a talk at a security conference in Manhattan on Tuesday the talk, Ludwig said that, “for sure,” there’s no doubt that a Google Pixel and an iPhone are pretty much equal when it comes to security. Android, he added, will soon be better though.

“In the long term, the open ecosystem of Android is going to put it in a much better place,” he said, without mentioning that Android has already been around for more than eight years at this point.

During his talk at the O’Reilly Security Conference Ludwig said that Android’s built-in security product called “Safety Net” scans 400 million devices per day and checks a stunning 6 billions apps per day.

The result of these security checks, coupled with the exploit mitigation measures baked into Android, mean that a really small number of Android devices has malware or, as Google calls it, “Potentially Harmful Applications” or PHAs, according to Ludwig. In fact, Ludwig said showing a graph, less than 1% of Android smartphone contain malware.

As an example of Android’s misunderstood security, Ludwig used the infamous series of critical bugs known as Stagefright, which were found last year. Ludwig noted that despite the alarm and the potential danger to practically all Android users, they have yet to see a real-life hack on an Android phone done exploiting Stagefright.

“At this point we still don’t have any confirmed instances of exploitation in the wild,” he said.

Read more: Google Security Engineer Claims Android Is Now As Secure as the iPhone

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
just my 2 cents...

How can Android be as safe as IOS if most users (if memory serves around 75%) still use an old and not updated device (since Android as security updates are not available)?

It might be true for Pixel phones and for the future....
Android user can also install AVs.....

Reactions: DardiM

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
just my 2 cents...

How can Android be as safe as IOS if most users (if memory serves around 75%) still use an old and not updated device (since Android as security updates are not available)?

I think they imply Android as a platform rather than what version you're using.

Reactions: Wave

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Two logics

1) If we are talking about fix maintenance when vulnerabilities occur, then Android maybe safer than IOS. Since IOS itself are more expose on future deadly attacks compare to Android.

2) If we are talking on audience scale base then IOS is safer because of environment OS and possible tighter security than Android.

Since Android holds the wide variety of possible attacks including other outdated hardware of manufacturers; compare to Apple where they knew the flow of problem itself only.

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
For the most part, probably not. It hurts me to admit that iOS is likely to be a lot better regarding security. However, if a person uses common sense when using their phone, installing apps and giving permissions to apps (Android 6.0+ has this feature I believe), they will be safe.

I prefer Android because of the freedom is gives the user. Freedom comes at a cost, but it doesn't take much to learn how to use your phone in a way that you don't expose yourself to easily avoidable risks. While Android's freedom comes at the cost of security, iOS's security comes at the price of freedom. More people (at least in my social circles) have been jailbreaking their iPhones because they don't have the freedom on their phones that they think they deserve. Once jailbroken, the security that the iPhone once had has been flushed down the toilet.

Android's newer versions have been getting better security such as having to manually give apps permissions and not being able to do so if there is a screen overlay (such as the messenger chat circle things and Twilight).

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
just my 2 cents...

Totally agree with you :)

About Android :

A lot of phones currently used haven't got the "last version" (with last security improvements) ...
=> This sentence is correct each time a new android version appears, because not all android phone users can change their device at the same frequency android is updated : a big market part of smartphone are concerned, not allowing updates.

=> mine (personal, not professional) only allowed updating from 4.1 to 4.2 => hop "buy another phone" => no thanks
So I answered : "no", but meaning "less secure"​

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
The Google Store has much more malware apps, the Apple Store barely any at all.

Even if the Android OS is as secure as iOS, other things are not equal.

I don't like the fact that even Google's Pixel only has 2 year OS updates (3 year security), Apple does around 5 YEARS, not to mention security patching longer. Zero days are being discovered all the time.

Reactions: DardiM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.