Google, The End of Privacy

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Google’s Super Bowl commercial, Loretta, is a prelude to the dystopian future
The end of privacy won't come at the barrel of a gun. It's being willfully given away for convenience.

by Michio Hasai
February 3, 2020

When Google first hit the scene, it offered a solution. Just one. It found things on the internet, and at the time it did it better than anyone else. Better than Yahoo. Better than Alta Vista. Better than Ask Jeeves. Its algorithm and web-crawling strategies were years ahead of the competitors. It’s no wonder that it continued to be an innovator until it no longer needed to be.

Things changed for Google when they realized they no longer had to beat the competition to the punch when it came to creation and innovation. Thanks to their second big breakthrough, the mastery of online ads, they were able to accumulate so much money that they simply bought those who did the innovation and creation for them. That’s the point that many people attribute to their final transcendence from a search company to a true tech giant, but there was one more mountain to climb, and they started their ascent ahead of most.

They are still climbing the mountain today. It’s the longest, hardest mountain they or any other tech giant has ever had to climb. It’s tied into nearly all of their current ambitions, from being the hub of everything that pertains to human health to creating the first true artificial intelligence that is not only self-expansive but also self-serving. Today, all of their endeavors require one thing for fuel: data. Specifically, they need your data, the ideas that cannot be calculated with vast equations or solved with faster quantum computers. Our personal data is the skeleton key to the future.

And we’re giving it to them willingly as if this isn’t the company that dropped the mantra of “don’t be evil” from their employee handbook a couple of years ago. It should have been huge and terrifying news to know that a company would literally wipe their only prevailing moral value to open the door to what they’re becoming today.

That’s an awfully long setup for a very short conclusion....

- read more...

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Google products are top notch. No privacy though. It is very hard to replace google services.
Indeed all attempts failed, best example:
- Google Chrome. Supplanted FF, Netscape , Internet Explorer, (non-chromium) Edge...
- Android, no need to say more LOL
- Google Search, made was internet is today, can't find one search service more efficient.
- Google Maps, well on my android phones, it saved me countless times in my country or while travelling. No alternatives was as accurate.

And the list is long...sure you have alternatives, but most are crap or less efficient or lack of options.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
- Google Search, made was internet is today, can't find one search service more efficient.
Hahaha, I see clearly, that Google results are strongly, highly censored!
If we will truly search to find, we have (example) DDG, or other search engines, without censorship, results totally different than Google results, I've checked this a thousand times!
I don't like censorship, you see...

Our topic about:
Best Private Search Engines Guide

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
My personal feeling is that anything that has the monopoly Google has should be viewed with suspicion - Some of their services are good though I dislike Android & haven't used Gmail or Google search for some time & moved away from Chrome - The fact that Google is in the background on just about each & every website there is I feel is very worrying - I used Google search / Chrome from the very beginning but times & Google have changed greatly.

It is difficult not to use Google, & the fact they give their wonderful services away from the goodness of their hearts for the betterment of mankind is touching (just sarcasm) Just because something is very popular, or works very well, apparently free, is not necessarily a good reason to use it & more so probably a good reason to consider not too - 99.999% who use Google gladly, Facebook too have no clue that they are even being tracked & a profile built. I appreciate others will feel very differently, but I'm unlikely to alter my opinion, & the next few years will be interesting?

There are those in history that did lots of good & followed by many who also did dreadful things, history usually repeats itself I've learnt - It's always about power.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Hahaha, I see clearly, that Google results are strongly, highly censored!
If we will truly search to find, we have (example) DDG, or other search engines, without censorship, results totally different than Google results, I've checked this a thousand times!
I don't like censorship, you see...

Our topic about:
Best Private Search Engines Guide
Lol, I have DDG as secondary search engine, DDG isn't even close in efficiency, I always had to go back to Google...
Google, censored? Probably, give us examples? I guess some weirdo religious or political extremist sites...

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

My personal feeling is that anything that has the monopoly Google has should be viewed with suspicion - Some of their services are good though I dislike Android & haven't used Gmail or Google search for some time & moved away from Chrome - The fact that Google is in the background on just about each & every website there is I feel is very worrying - I used Google search / Chrome from the very beginning but times & Google have changed greatly.
Why that? That is called successful business.

It is difficult not to use Google, & the fact they give their wonderful services away from the goodness of their hearts for the betterment of mankind is touching (just sarcasm)
Honestly, unless they kill or scam people, or hide their purpose I don't care what a company does if its services are top notch.
I don't have affiliation to them, im just a user.

Just because something is very popular, or works very well, apparently free, is not necessarily a good reason to use it & more so probably a good reason to consider not too - 99.999% who use Google gladly, Facebook too have no clue that they are even being tracked & a profile built. I appreciate others will feel very differently, but I'm unlikely to alter my opinion, & the next few years will be interesting?
This is the reason why i use it, why should use subpar services instead of the best one?
They build profiles? Of course, like every company serious in their businesses, just check your bank or insurance company...
Facebook, Google, they can only use what you expose, they can't have access to your real persona if you don't want to.
This is one point tinfoil hats always fail to point.

There are those in history that did lots of good & followed by many who also did dreadful things, history usually repeats itself I've learnt - It's always about power.
Sure, but I don't see Google or Facebook killing people for their own gains...they offers, people decide to use them or not, it is not the same as someone enforcing some laws by gunpoint. We are talking about online services, not petrol or rare and valuable resources worth displacing or killing people.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Why that? That is called successful business.

Honestly, unless they kill or scam people, or hide their purpose I don't care what a company does if its services are top notch.
I don't have affiliation to them, im just a user.

This is the reason why i use it, why should use subpar services instead of the best one?
They build profiles? Of course, like every company serious in their businesses, just check your bank or insurance company...
Facebook, Google, they can only use what you expose, they can't have access to your real persona if you don't want to.
This is one point tinfoil hats always fail to point.

Sure, but I don't see Google or Facebook killing people for their own gains...they offers, people decide to use them or not, it is not the same as someone enforcing some laws by gunpoint. We are talking about online services, not petrol or rare and valuable resources worth displacing or killing people.

I do see your point of view but I disagree, I do understand how a successful business works & capitalism - I like yourself can fortunately chose how I do things, Google isn't a issue in my life I have far greater things to deal with as most do, but I feel the almost monopoly Google has is a concern.

Personal choice - However you like myself are a user of the best VPN's so it seems we both have realistic privacy concerns? The difference is most people know nothing of how the web works, if they do, don't have the knowledge of how to protect themselves / Or if something is free would give their soul away in a heartbeat...

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I do see your point of view but I disagree, I do understand how a successful business works & capitalism - I like yourself can fortunately chose how I do things, Google isn't a issue in my life I have far greater things to deal with as most do, but I feel the almost monopoly Google has is a concern.
Monopoly is always a concern, because there is no alternatives to restrain the monopolists but we are not yet at this point, we have plenty of alts.
We still have a choice.
Anyway now there is many bashers, but where were they when Google started to develop such tactics...? i bet they were praising their services...

Personal choice - However you like myself are a user of the best VPN's so it seems we both have realistic privacy concerns? The difference is most people know nothing of how the web works, if they do, don't have the knowledge of how to protect themselves / Or if something is free would give their soul away in a heartbeat...
Indeed you and me are aware persons so we can reduce the impact such companies (Google, Facebook, MS) do while keep using their efficient services. and you are also right saying that Average Joe are more victims than aware users; but i will tell you many of the Average Joes are willing "victims", most don't give a damn to those concerns if they can still use those services.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Monopoly is always a concern, because there is no alternatives to restrain the monopolists but we are not yet at this point, we have plenty of alts.
We still have a choice.
Anyway now there is many bashers, but where were they when Google started to develop such tactics...? i bet they were praising their services...

Indeed you and me are aware persons so we can reduce the impact such companies (Google, Facebook, MS) do while keep using their efficient services. and you are also right saying that Average Joe are more victims than aware users; but i will tell you many of the Average Joes are willing "victims", most don't give a damn to those concerns if they can still use those services.
Agree, with you there 100% 😲😲

Reactions: McLovin
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

no privacy regardless of using google products or not

google is not the only data-devouring demon

this is widely-known and accepted except it seems for places like this
Indeed, There is so many "real life" companies/organizations (banks, insurances, hospitals, etc...) who possesses your REAL datas and may share/sell them, that Google and MS seems like kids compare to them...

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
DDG & Google pretty much are equal when talking about censorship tbh

Try something like yandex

Indeed, There is so many "real life" companies/organizations (banks, insurances, hospitals, etc...) who possesses your REAL datas and may share/sell them, that Google and MS seems like kids compare to them...
Or those VPN companies & other privacy companies that end up being breached

Sometimes its just better trust giants like google/ms and use onedrive or gmail than some low profile privacy email providers wich can end up being discontinued anytime, google/ms are here to stay

Reactions: Amirqqpq

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
no privacy regardless of using google products or not

google is not the only data-devouring demon

this is widely-known and accepted except it seems for places like this
Sure.

Quote from another (What happened to Avast) topic:
They (Google, Avast, etc) track you to defend you against terrorists and other bad actors like bandits, villains... So tracking is good for me and for you.
Better to fight for better security than for privacy.
Fighting for privacy is a war lost in advance.
I no longer use privacy extensions like Privacy Possum, Ghostery, and my browsers are lighter.
I've already said that...

Reactions: Amirqqpq

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.