Google Unshackles Android-Device Firms

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Google is dropping restrictions it imposed on Android-device-makers, following a clash with the EU.

It is ending a ban on manufacturers having a line-up that includes tablets and phones powered by alternative versions of the operating system to its own as well as ones that feature Google's own apps and Play Store. It will also allow some of its services to be pre-installed without others. But Google continues to appeal against a related €4.3bn (£3.8bn) fine. The European Commission announced the penalty in July, after ruling that the US company had been using Android to illegally "cement its dominant position" in search. Google announced the changes to its policies in a blog. It said the new licensing arrangements would come into effect on 29 October and apply to devices shipped to the European Economic Area (EEA) - which includes Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein in addition to the EU. Until now, Google insisted that if handset- and tablet-makers pre-installed apps such as YouTube and Google Maps, they also had to pre-load its web browser Chrome and Search apps. Chrome and Search will no longer be bundled in this way.

E

Eddie Morra

Why can't they make all Google apps easily uninstallable?
It would be a bad move on their part for "business". It's Google's version of Android therefore it makes sense for their apps to be pushed... since this provides them with funding to support Android and other things. They make a profit from your usage of the free services they offer through your data and advertisements.

When it comes to "free" Google services, you're the product.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It would be a bad move on their part for "business". It's Google's version of Android therefore it makes sense for their apps to be pushed... since this provides them with funding to support Android and other things. They make a profit from your usage of the free services they offer through your data and advertisements.

When it comes to "free" Google services, you're the product.
Yeah but who wants to uninstall Playstore, Chrome or YT (maybe remove the book, news and google app, sure) from their phone.

E

Eddie Morra

Yeah but who wants to uninstall Playstore, Chrome or YT (maybe remove the book, news and google app, sure) from their phone.
Probably no one because the phone would become pretty boring. I use Chrome and YT on Android but would happily remove the book and news app/s... I have never even opened those.

You can use another browser like the DuckDuckGo or Firefox browser over Google Chrome on Android though. If you've got a different browser, then you might want to uninstall Chrome. It would be a reasonable decision IMO. I am pretty sure Android doesn't allow you to uninstall Chrome though, but I've never tried so take that with a grain of salt.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Probably no one because the phone would become pretty boring. I use Chrome and YT on Android but would happily remove the book and news app/s... I have never even opened those.

You can use another browser like the DuckDuckGo or Firefox browser over Google Chrome on Android though. If you've got a different browser, then you might want to uninstall Chrome. It would be a reasonable decision IMO. I am pretty sure Android doesn't allow you to uninstall Chrome though, but I've never tried so take that with a grain of salt.
Without root No, but can be disabled. I also don't use chrome on phone, but 90% of the people on android do.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.