Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
An article on bleepingcomputer.com: Google Will Be Able to Backup Your Entire Computer

Google says it will launch Backup and Sync in two weeks, on June 28, 2017.

...some quotes from the article above:
Google pre-announced today a new tool named "Backup and Sync," built on top of Google Drive, which will be able to back up files stored anywhere on the user's computer, not just in the Drive folder. The search giant says it will launch Backup and Sync in two weeks, on June 28.

Google says the new tool is a mash-up of the old Google Drive app and the Google Photos desktop uploader. A preview of the upcoming tool's interface is available in the image at the top of this article, showing Backup and Sync's ability to back up files from any folder the user wants to sync to his Google Drive account.

While some might view this as Google wanting more access to user data, the new Backup and Sync tool can be an alternative for consumers that want to back up files but can't afford dedicated hard drives or pricey backup software and cloud storage space.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
....yes thats right: google's upload tool should also be able to automatically encrypt the files (before uploading them to google)
......otherwiese this service/cloud is pretty useless..... and quite risky.....
i hope google will provide an automatic encyption ......one day in the future..... ;) :D

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
....yes thats right: google's upload tool should also be able to automatically encrypt the files (before uploading them to google)
......otherwiese this service/cloud is pretty useless.....
i hope google will provide an automatic encyption ......in the future..... ;) :D
You mean encryption with a backdoor?

;)

It'll be better if you triple-encrypt your files before sending to the cloud, no?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for sharing. BC need to provide a source to Google Blog - would be beneficial.

For documents and files, use Drive app.
For photos and videos, use Photos app - (Google Photos Backup - Desktop Uploader for Win/Mac)
For music, use Music Manager app or Play Music extension - (Google Play Music supported file types - Google Play Help)

Now Google Drive and Photo Backup tool become one, and you can upload 50,000 song files for Free with Play Music extension (on Chrome) as well as download everything if you lose your local music folder.

Google Blog: G Suite Update Alerts: Backup and Sync from Google available soon

G Suite Enterprise, Business and Education clients can look forward to Drive File Stream. Learn more.

Too many paranoid folk with no proof to their claims. Trolls everywhere.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I already uploaded most of my audio files to google music, but folks should know that it does not preserve your folder structure. Google recategorizes the music according to whatever metadata it can extract from the files. So it is not ideal for rebuilding your collection after a major data loss.

One other caveat: Google products are not that great at reading time stamps, sometimes they overwrite the newer version of a file with the older version. User beware.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Might push me from dropbox to google drive. This features sounds too useful to miss.
If you use Android or iOS, you can download the Drive and Photos apps to get started. You'll need a PC or Chrome browser to upload your songs before using Play Music to listen back on Mobile (Android and iOS).

If you use WhatsApp, it stores encrypted backups to Google Drive (Android only) or iCloud Drive (iOS only) ---- and OneDrive (Windows Phone only).

Be aware that Google Drive and Gmail will use your 15GB Online Storage, whereas Photos, if set as Upload as Hi-res (optimised) will not. You can find out more on the Google Support pages for those products and services.

I already use Google Photos and Music, but 50:50 on Documents with Drive. So try out Drive for your Documents/Files whilst keeping Dropbox, because no single service is 100% on point. And let us know what you think. :)

@shmu26 Thanks for the information, It's better than nothing if you don't keep system image backups.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you want to save space on document storage: you can set google drive to automatically convert uploaded documents to google doc format -- and google doc format does not count against your 15 gb free storage space.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If you use Android or iOS, you can download the Drive and Photos apps to get started. You'll need a PC or Chrome browser to upload your songs before using Play Music to listen back on Mobile (Android and iOS).

If you use WhatsApp, it stores encrypted backups to Google Drive (Android only) or iCloud Drive (iOS only) ---- and OneDrive (Windows Phone only).

Be aware that Google Drive and Gmail will use your 15GB Online Storage, whereas Photos, if set as Upload as Hi-res (optimised) will not. You can find out more on the Google Support pages for those products and services.

I already use Google Photos and Music, but 50:50 on Documents with Drive. So try out Drive for your Documents/Files whilst keeping Dropbox, because no single service is 100% on point. And let us know what you think. :)

@shmu26 Thanks for the information, It's better than nothing if you don't keep system image backups.
Only use the whatsapp backup thing but yeah if i get drive on desktop i will push to more stuff.

T

The paranoid one

It does not sound good to me, INMO, Google services are very aggressive in terms of privacy. The idea is good and other competitors offer a similar service, like Mega, with 50 Gbs free to synchronize in the cloud, so for me, it is best to wait to see how this service behaves and if it is really intrusive or not

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It does not sound good to me, INMO, Google services are very aggressive in terms of privacy. The idea is good and other competitors offer a similar service, like Mega, with 50 Gbs free to synchronize in the cloud, so for me, it is best to wait to see how this service behaves and if it is really intrusive or not
According to some online reports and statements, Mega cannot be trusted. Neither is it open-source to verify. Look it up.
Hostile Takeover: Is mega.nz safe for personal/non-public file backup? • r/selfhosted

What parts of the Privacy Policy would affect the way you would use Google service and Drive itself?
Google Drive Terms of Service - Google Drive Help
You may be interested in Boxcryptor | Security for your Cloud and similar services.

T

The paranoid one

According to some online reports and statements, Mega cannot be trusted. Neither is it open-source to verify. Look it up.
Hostile Takeover: Is mega.nz safe for personal/non-public file backup? • r/selfhosted

What parts of the Privacy Policy would affect the way you would use Google service and Drive itself?
Google Drive Terms of Service - Google Drive Help
You may be interested in Boxcryptor | Security for your Cloud and similar services.
Oh, many thanks! I am very grateful for this information, I did not know that there was something like this :)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
If you want to save space on document storage: you can set google drive to automatically convert uploaded documents to google doc format -- and google doc format does not count against your 15 gb free storage space.

Unfortunately converting complex Word documents to Google doc format make them lose all functionality. Dynamic fields and tables, for instance, do not work at all after conversion in my experience. So unless Google's document format becomes more powerful or the conversion gets better it's not an option for me at all...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.