Got my first malwarewarning from Opera =)

eXPerience

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 7, 2011
Never seen this screen before :p. Nice to know that they actually have it !

24e8dgx.png

(rather funny that opera users get a 30% discount on AVG though ? :angel: )

eXp

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Could've sworn they used Haute Secure.
I don't like AVG, and I never will, so why is Opera backing them?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good for you well they must improved from blocking website as they make a deal for that partnership.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
TRUSTe acquired Haute Secure 2 years ago. See here.

Last year Opera integrated AVG's Data Feed tech. for web-protection. See here.

eXPerience, what was the link you stumbled upon to trigger that warning? :D

eXPerience

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 7, 2011
someone send it to me over facebookchat. don't have the link anymore tho.

Was that already last year that they acquired that ? I've never seen any screen like that before...

eXp

jj1two3

Apr 10, 2011
I am using Opera 11.10 and it has blocked several sites already. It seems to be a pretty good browser and it has its own Opera Ad block. But I wish they didn't use AVG.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If they didn't use AVG, what would have you preferred they used? :D

The malicious URL information provided through the AVG Data Feed is obtained using the same technology that powers one of the developer's other successful products – the AVG LinkScanner. The AVG LinkScanner, which is also integrated into the company's antivirus solutions, can be downloaded as a stand-alone program, and employs code analysis to determine if websites are malicious or not.

"AVG LinkScanner inspects the web page code in transit, before it displays in a browser. Using various code inspection technologies, LinkScanner reads the web code (html, javascript, vbscript etc.) and determines if the code is legitimate or malicious in real-time," explained Tony Anscombe, AVG's ambassador of free products, in a recent interview with Softpedia. "On an average day, LinkScanner detects and blocks millions of malicious URLs BEFORE users visit them," he stressed.
Source

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.