GrapheneOS: a open source privacy and security OS

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 85179
  • Start date
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
"omgwherearetheponies" made 5 GrapheneOS wallpaper each for light and dark themed phones:

1608493730267.png

GrapheneOS Wallpapers (1080x2340) : GrapheneOS (reddit.com)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author

Changes since the 2020.12.12.03 release:
  • full 2021-01-01 security patch level
  • full 2021-01-05 security patch level
  • rebased onto RQ1A.210105.003 release
  • Settings: update GrapheneOS connectivity check URLs to match NetworkStack
  • Camera: remove unused Wi-Fi state permissions
  • Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a: update APNs with carriersettings-extractor
  • adjust kernel configuration tests to permit not having BPF_JIT since we don't have it enabled
  • add check for empty TTS engine name to address upstream bug
  • Vanadium: enable split cache by default
  • Vanadium: add back legacy media file access support for now
  • Vanadium: rename WebView and library apps based on the vanadium.app domain
  • Seedvault: update to latest revision
  • remove unnecessary vendor overlays
  • SetupWizard: change OS name to GrapheneOS for backup activity strings again
  • fix use-after-free in adbd authentication which was breaking support for persistently trusting keys due to zero-on-free
  • default theme: use blue accent color
  • replace default AOSP wallpaper with a solid black wallpaper - may get a bit fancier in the near future
  • update round icon mask
  • Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a: always use dark firmware theme
  • Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL: disable unused dynamic kernel module support to match other devices
  • Updater: disconnect keepalive connection when service is done

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'll wait for the support of 5G since the Pixel 5 and 4a 5G are not currently supported as below

Also, based on the below, 5G is not supported in my country with the Pixel 5 or 4a 5G. It may or may not work in my country. Need to confirm on this later.

BTW, can I know whether GrapheneOS supports the use of more than one VPN at the same time. Android can only run one VPN at any one time. Is Adguard for android supported?

Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
I'll wait for the support of 5G since the Pixel 5 and 4a 5G are not currently supported as below
Also, based on the below, 5G is not supported in my country with the Pixel 5 or 4a 5G. It may or may not work in my country. Need to confirm on this later.
5G is primary for companies, industries and connected cars.
For us end user 4G aka LTE is more than enough.

BTW, can I know whether GrapheneOS supports the use of more than one VPN at the same time. Android can only run one VPN at any one time. Is Adguard for android supported?
I don't use AdGuard, but I don't see why it shouldn't be compatible.
Why do you need more than one VPN at a time?

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
5G is primary for companies, industries and connected cars.
For us end user 4G aka LTE is more than enough.

I don't use AdGuard, but I don't see why it shouldn't be compatible.
Why do you need more than one VPN at a time?

5G is now. Some countries are doing away 3G with the coming of 5G. It's not a matter of why not for Adguard but whether Adguard is supported on GrapheneOS or not.

Like a dedicated VPN, firewall, privacy software etc use a local VPN. Android only supports running one VPN at only one time.

So are you using the GrapheneOS? Can confirm the support of more than one VPN?

Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
5G is now. Some countries are doing away 3G with the coming of 5G.
Doesn't matter. 3G does not "go away", it is used for 4G so you have one less fallback.

It's not a matter of why not for Adguard but whether Adguard is supported on GrapheneOS or not.
if AdGuard doesn't required Google (Play) Services, it works.
GrapheneOS doesn't add any app compatibility. That is part of app developer's.

Like a dedicated VPN, firewall, privacy software etc use a local VPN. Android only supports running one VPN at only one time.
That's not fully true. With e.g. NetGuard you can use it beside a normal VPN but need SOCKS5 proxy support.

So are you using the GrapheneOS? Can confirm the support of more than one VPN?
Yes, i use GrapheneOS since Android 10.
About VPN support you can read FAQ | GrapheneOS

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Doesn't matter. 3G does not "go away", it is used for 4G so you have one less fallback.

if AdGuard doesn't required Google (Play) Services, it works.
GrapheneOS doesn't add any app compatibility. That is part of app developer's.

That's not fully true. With e.g. NetGuard you can use it beside a normal VPN but need SOCKS5 proxy support.

Yes, i use GrapheneOS since Android 10.
About VPN support you can read FAQ | GrapheneOS
Quote from the GrapheneOS FAQ

What kind of VPN and Tor support is available?

VPNs can be configured under Settings ➔ Network & Internet ➔ Advanced ➔ VPN. Support for the following protocols is included: PPTP (insecure, obsolete), L2TP/IPSec PSK, L2TP/IPSec RSA, IPSec Xauth PSK, IPSec Xauth RSA and IPSec Hybrid RSA. Apps can also provide userspace VPN implementations and the following open source apps are recommended: Orbot (Tor), WireGuard, OpenVPN for Android and the Private Internet Access client (OpenVPN).

VPN configurations created with the built-in support can be set as the always-on VPN in the configuration panel. This will keep the VPN running, reconnecting as necessary and will force all connections through them. An app providing a VPN service can also be set as the always-on VPN via the entry in the Settings page. For app-based VPN implementations, there's also an additional "Block connections without VPN" toggle which is needed to prevent leaks when the app's VPN service isn't running.

Unquote

Since you are using it.......

My english is not good. Can you tell me whether 2 or more VPNs can run simultaneously? Any issue say if I want to run BlackFog Privacy (which requires a local VPN) and a dedicated VPN at the same time ? Or say use Blokada with a dedicated VPN?

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author

Changes since the 2021.01.05.03 release:
  • device theme: use slightly different accent color for the dark theme
  • Dialer: add carrier-specific visual voicemail configurations
  • Vanadium: update Chromium base to 87.0.4280.141
  • Vanadium: update Chromium base to 88.0.4324.93
  • kernel (Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a): use UTC for kernel timestamp to make reproducible builds easier
  • kernel (Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a): update toolchain's toybox prebuilt for various fixes including fixing an issue with the date command causing a build reproducibility issue
  • kernel (Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a): apply upstream patch avoiding truncation of kernel debug symbol names generated when using Clang type-based CFI
  • adjust kernel configuration tests to permit disabling dynamic kernel modules for new kernel variants
  • fix dark theme issue with Settings app search panel
  • Camera2: backport fix for interaction with lockscreen
  • Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a: update APNs with carriersettings-extractor
  • Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a: add CarrierConfig vendor.xml from the stock OS with entries depending on Google and carrier apps stripped out

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
An experimental version of our web-based installer for GrapheneOS is now available: GrapheneOS web install This can be used from browsers with WebUSB support. Most Chromium-based browsers are supported including Chrome, Edge and Brave. No need to run any additional software.

GrapheneOS install documentation is an index page linking to both the command-line installation guide and the new web-based installer. It explains the advantage of the command-line approach on an OS providing proper fastboot and signify packages. For most users, WebUSB makes more sense.
This is being developed as an open source project under the MIT license. The bulk of it is being published as a generic fastboot.js library intended to be directly reusable by other projects: kdrag0n/fastboot.js The rest is part of the GrapheneOS/grapheneos.org repository.

I would say this is the first Android ROM every which provide such a easy installation way. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.