Graphics card suggestion at $100-200

advanced_skill

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
I joined the Alpha testing for Lawbreakers, but I read the minimum specs and realized that Dell's GTX 745 just doesn't live up to the standards.

I need better graphics. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I don't need high-end graphics, but I need something that can handle games well. Something better than a GTX 660.

I don't want to spend too much money. The card should be around $100-200 (I'm interested in discounts/rebates). It needs to be worth it for the price (because some cards offer around the same performance as others but are cheaper). AMD, Nvidia, doesn't matter (however, I expect AMD cards to be cheaper). Doesn't have to be the newest, but I prefer cards from newer generations.

I'm planning to upgrade my Dell XPS, and I don't know exactly what cards the motherboard supports. Since I'm not asking for a high-end card, maybe it doesn't really matter (or maybe I should actually check).

And please, something better than a 750ti.

Edit: I'm pretty sure my desktop is a Dell XPS 8900, which "has a 460W power supply that supports graphics upgrades up to 225W." So no AMD :(

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Look on Ebay for the GTX 950 that will suffice for your needs yet stay current long enough that
you won't need to upgrade for some time. Within that budget you could get the 980 on Ebay
even the ti version, but I can assure you, you would be very happy and have some extra cash sticking with the GTX 950. NewEgg may have them too, but you will get them cheaper on Ebay

Darlene

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
Captsure.PNG

FPS form 13 games

Capt2ure.PNG

I recommend you to read this article. If you want to compare 2 cards I suggest this site.

Reactions: Jack

advanced_skill

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
Sorry guys, AMD might draw too much power for my system (see edit).

Should I wait for a 1050 (if there will be one), get the 950, or wait 'till there's a good deal for stronger cards (such as 970, 1060, etc.)? I don't need a lot of graphics power: just enough to handle today's standards for 1080p gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Sorry guys, AMD might draw too much power for my system (see edit).

Should I wait for a 1050 (if there will be one), get the 950, or wait 'till there's a good deal for stronger cards (such as 970, 1060, etc.)? I don't need a lot of graphics power: just enough to handle today's standards for 1080p gaming.
460W is enough for the whole system and Radeon RX 470, but if you really like NVidia, then go with GTX 950 or 960 (wait for a price drop), or wait for GTX 1050

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@advanced_skill
If you have the capacity then go with Dual GTX 950's till the Price drops on the higher cards.
The EVGA version is easy to find on Ebay, I run 2 of them SLI'd and Play The Division on Ultra settings, as a gamer that should tell you something.
I would not recommend something that I do not use myself. I got 2 of them for under 200.00 and that was after shipping.
I plan to do the higher cards, but I am waiting to get that new Intel MoBo first, then I will splurge on cards.
PeAcE

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I don't think that Dell XPS's supports Crossfire or SLI, what exact mobo is inside your Dell

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
What do you mean? Your assumption is correct; we are talking about a desktop.

Doesn't matter. Unless anyone has better suggestions, I'm going for a 470.
Further proof that I am having a really strange day, leave me alone lol :p
Let us know how you fare with that 470 brother.
PeAcE

simbelmayne

Level 3
Verified
Jul 4, 2016
I think, Asus R9 380 must be the best choice for you, if you still want to spend $200 and not more.

advanced_skill

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
I'm very sorry guys but I went a little above $200 to get a GTX 1060. Thanks for the suggestions though, since I was really considering the 470 (480 if it weren't mostly out of stock).

I believe that Nvidia cards are more reliable (and I like them better). There's nothing wrong with gaming with AMD, though.

Driver installation (failures) gave me PTSD until I cleaned up my GTX 745 leftovers. Working great now!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.