Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I would like to suggest a good free backup plan such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both a reliable free version. ;)

Maybe consider a different operating system as well.

Last edited:

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Well,,, Have you been thinking about updating your OS to Win 7 or straight to the Win 10?
And i don't have experience about Tencent so i can't say nothing about that. But Backup! It is first rule of security configuration, pls consider or i mean do it :p I hope this is some your old testing PC?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Any reason why you need to use Windows XP SP3?

You can migrate to Linux if the task you are pertaining are just casual and more on typing purposes.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
As for the other suggestions, I think you can strengthen XP but the real problem is its inherent insecurity, due to the fact that it is a "colander".
If you do not have the ability to migrate towards more secure OS, please consider using Sandboxie to mitigate web attacks, and a solid backup plan as a disaster recovery solution.

maanastr

Level 4
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
As you are using an outdated OS, your system is vulnerable and might be a soft target for cybercriminals to attack. So I think you have to use some on demand scanners too along-with your antivirus. Zemena Antimalare, Malwarebyte,Hitman pro and Emsisoft emergency kit are the well known on demand scanner.
Also use some extensions like HTTPS Everywhere, Disconect and WOT.

Except Tanscent, use QIhoo Total security which has Avira and Bitdefender engine. It is very lighter and powerful too..Well other than chinese antivirus you can use Avast or AVG or Panda free as a free antivirus. If you want to use paid then go for Eset or kaspersky
Better way move from xp to Windows 7 or + versions.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The best idea is to install Windows 10, and run your legacy apps in a XP virtual machine. That is what I do.
But if you must use Windows XP, then use Qihoo + COMODO firewall in proactive mode, and run vulnerable apps (such as browser and PDF reader) in COMODO sandbox.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Windows XP is super vulnerable, no matter what security apps you use. Consider upgrading to Windows 10, and perhaps use a Virtual Machine to run old apps if you need to.
Windows 10 is not that monster, you will like it :)

Reactions: BugCode and frogboy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
An outdated unsupported OS is a big risk.
Not really going to matter what security solutions you are running.
My advice would be to upgrade to Windows 10 or at the very least 7 and then 10 for free.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.