GuruNot's Security Config

GuruNot

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 1, 2016
Sophos is free for home use ... Either via Sophos Home or with the Home UTM which gives you endpoint licenses for 10 machines.

Details of the HW for my UTM:

Astaro Version(s) tested: 9.355-1
System OR Motherboard: SuperMicro E200-9B containing X11SBA-LN4F Mainboard
BIOS version: 1.0
CPU: Intel® Pentium® Processor N3700 (SOC), Quad-Core (6W, 4C); Socket FCBGA 1170
RAM: 2 x Kingston KVR16LS11/4 RAM 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM 1.35 V, 204-Pin Memory Module
Disk Controller 1: SATA 3.0 (6Gbps) from Intel® SoC
Network Interfaces: Quad Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, Intel® I210-AT
Video Controller: Aspeed AST2400 BMC
Hard Disk: Plextor PX-128M6M 128GB mSata Solid State Drive
Case/Chassis: CSE-101S Mini-ITX (19.5cm wide x 19.5cm deep x 4.5cm high)
Power Supply: DC-DC board with external 60W DC Power Supply
Total Power Consumption: Estimated 10 - 15 Watts
Total Cost: £424.63 (Bare E200-9B = £350, RAM = £29.24, mSATA = £45.39 all retail)
Comments / Notes: This Server/Board has a dedicated IPMI interface (similar to HP ILO) in addition to the 4 NICs.
Install of UTM was done remotely using IPMI console redirection with virtual media pointing to local ISO on remote machine.
All hardware was recognised with no issues.

I did splash out on a Sophos AP which allows me to do multiple VLANs , captive portals etc from the UTM.

A couple of links:

Free Antivirus for Home Networks: Secure 10 PCs and Macs Free | Sophos

Free Firewall for Home Users | Free Home Security Appliance Download | Sophos XG Firewall

Free Home Edition Firewall - UTM Home | Sophos Free Tools

Have a play, both the UTM and XG Firewall can be stood up as a VM if you so wish.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion, my school does offer Sophos now as a free AV, but here is the catch from them that I find :confused:

Sophos Anti-Virus detects and cleans up viruses, Trojans, worms, and spyware, as well as adware and other potentially unwanted applications. It provides virus definitions and software updates regularly when you are connected to the Internet. You do need to be on campus to receive these updates.

GuruNot

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 1, 2016
a couple changes done.

Changed from MalwareBytes Anti Exploit to HitmanPro.Alert
HTTPS Anywhere Installed for FF.
Keepass linked to my Yubikey which arrived the other day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Hey,

You are running Veeam Endpoint Backup.
How is backup/restore speed?
Are the backup/restore reliable?
How is it overall?
Anything you would like to mention?

I would like to give it a try.

Thank You

Reactions: JM Safe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.