[Hacked Inside] Windows 8.1

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i tested a pre-activated pirated Win8.1 in a VM ; i did a preventive scan with some AVs

EAM found 36 threats, some inactive backdoor/trojans , one dormant ransomware (surely waiting to be activated remotely) , some hacked registry keys that :

- disabled/disallowed to run several famous AVs or malware-killers (MSE/win8 defender, KIS , Avira, MBAM, SAS, BD, Avast, combofix, gmer, etc...etc...);
- blocked the advanced functions of Task Manager or Regedit
- disabled group policies and other functions

etc...

MBAM v2 couldn't run, expected because the reg keys.
HMP could run and its scans found only 5 of those threats. (some registry keys and backdoor/trojans)
WSA could run and found 2 threats (the backdoor/trojans) , it was expected that WSA missed the reg keys since it works mostly on active threats.

all this to say, if you use a cracked OS , be sure it is released by a renown serious grey hat hack club and even you will have lot of forensic to do.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
i tested a pre-activated pirated Win8.1 in a VM ; i did a preventive scan with some AVs

EAM found 36 threats, some inactive backdoor/trojans , one dormant ransomware (surely waiting to be activated remotely) , some hacked registry keys that :

- disabled/disallowed to run several famous AVs or malware-killers (MSE/win8 defender, KIS , Avira, MBAM, SAS, BD, Avast, combofix, gmer, etc...etc...);
- blocked the advanced functions of Task Manager or Regedit
- disabled group policies and other functions

etc...

MBAM v2 couldn't run, expected because the reg keys.
HMP could run and its scans found only 5 of those threats. (some registry keys and backdoor/trojans)
WSA could run and found 2 threats (the backdoor/trojans) , it was expected that WSA missed the reg keys since it works mostly on active threats.

all this to say, if you use a cracked OS , be sure it is released by a renown serious grey hat hack club and even you will have lot of forensic to do.

It all depends where did you download ISO from... :D

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Use the Licensed Software and will not have problems;)

Reactions: SifhX

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
What's the point using a pre cracked windows anyway ? Install with an original ISO and do it yourself if you can't afford a license

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
What's the point using a pre cracked windows anyway ? Install with an original ISO and do it yourself if you can't afford a license
Those are build for users that don't know neither Winamp to install :D

Reactions: Venustus

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Wow who uses cracked OS's these days?

There are extremely easy ways to activate untouched Windows ISOs genuinely without using lame cracks and hacktivators - we're not in the 90s any more

If you install a cracked / hacked OS and get infected, tough luck it's your own fault for being a n00b

Personally I have genuine keys for all my OS's - but even if I didn't it's a simple process to activate them genuinely without cracking or hacking anything

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Is the KMS activation considered crack?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
yes it is :D

and if you used it and observed its behavior; it open cmd and launch some strings, changes many registry keys and add a network adapter...now what kind of datas may pass by this adapter... to know it you have to use some traffic sniffer like Wireshark.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
hehehe... fortunately, i don't use it... thanks for the info! :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Question: Is it illegal to share Windows ISOs (for private use only) that were downloaded from MSDN/TechNet or DreamSpark?

@Umbra Polaris Do you have any screenshots of the infections? Would be good to see different results. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.