Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
screen_shot_2014-07-31_at_9.00.46_am_story.jpg

Muneeb Akhter is under investigation for inflating the value of gift cards artificially by unlawfully accessing e-commerce sites.

Akhter graduated from George Mason University when he was 19 with a Master’s degree in computer engineering. After graduating he began his own company, Warden Systems, that specialized in cyber security. During this time he created software that was able to inflate the value of a pre-paid gift card without actually using any funds. He utilized this method with numerous retailers including Sears, K-Mart, Starbucks, and Whole Foods.

After obtaining a new cyber security job in June, he shared his experience with a fellow co-worker. This led to the co-worker reporting the incident to a manager, who then contacted Homeland Security. Within weeks, Homeland Security and Secret Service agents came to his home with a search warrant and seized anything that could be of use in their investigation.

He has since lost his job and although these events have taken place, Akhter has not been formally charged with any crime. He has hired a lawyer and will wait to see what the investigation finds. In his defense, Akhter states that he was going to approach retailers with a fix and that was all part of his research.

Source: NBC | Image via NBC

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Gotta be careful who you share your findings with. Not everyone may see eye to eye.
I learned this about 10 years ago.
Make sure you know the person first.

Be careful who overhears you talking as well. I got caught out that way a long time ago ;)

Reactions: WinXPert

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You guys are safe, *whispers* mums the word, your secrets are safe with me, and wild horses couldn't drag it out of me.:) ...oh oh,:eek: homeland security could be reading this!
*I am Just Kidding* all of you Guardian Angels of Homeland security..!!:p:D ..really.:cool:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
You guys are safe, *whispers* mums the word, your secrets are safe with me, and wild horses couldn't drag it out of me.:) ...oh oh,:eek: homeland security could be reading this!
*I am Just Kidding* all of you Guardian Angels of Homeland security..!!:p:D ..really.:cool:

Harboring
Aiding and Abetting

DUI?

You're dead cat's meat

Maybe we can encrypt this the one that Starfleet uses

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You'll need EncrypTALK, voice encryption for the real world.

Reactions: Arakasi
D

Deleted member 178

hackers are often invisible, underestimated , unappreciated and bullied guys with no real life and ignored by girls, by focusing on their computers and become very good at it ,they try to reach a more higher state of fame and acknowledgement, but they can't really suppress their needs to show off their skills to whoever they think can put them in a higher circle, so finally they trust people who in fact really don't care of them except if they need something from them. this result in their fall by betrayal.

what is even worse is the jealousy/rivalry between hackers and self-preservation-in-all-cost-without-loyalty pushing them to betray each others. One of the best example is the Anonymous case.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.