Crypto Opinions & News Hacker spins up 1 million virtual servers to mine crypto

Disclaimer: Any information contained on this forum is provided as general market commentary, and does not constitute investment, financial, trading or other sort of advice.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
A 29-year-old man in Ukraine was arrested this week for using hacked accounts to create 1 million virtual servers used to mine $2 million in cryptocurrency. As announced today by Europol, the suspect is believed to be the mastermind behind a large-scale cryptojacking scheme that involves hijacking cloud computing resources for crypto-mining.

By using the computing resources of others' servers to mine cryptocurrency, the cybercriminals can profit at the expense of the compromised organizations, whose CPU and GPU performance is degraded by the mining.

For on-premise compromises, the damage extends to having to pay for increased power usage, commonly generated by miners. A 2022 report from Sysdig estimated the damage from cryptojacking to be about $53 for every $1 worth of Monero (XMR) the cybercriminals mine on hijacked devices.

Europol says they first learned of the cryptojacking attack in January 2023 from a cloud service provider who was investigating compromised cloud accounts on their platform.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
A 2022 report from Sysdig estimated the damage from cryptojacking to be about $53 for every $1 worth of Monero (XMR) the cybercriminals mine on hijacked devices.
What a load of crap...

If this were the case the token would collapse overnight...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.