Hackers breach Sony's password reset system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
LOL..Does this mean that XBL is better? No but we all know it is. This is a prime example of why I only renew my XBL with prepaid cards from GameStop or Walmart. There is no credit card info in my XBL account or my Blizzard account.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It's good read that Sony acted soon enough and this new attack was limited.......
Now,as you've read the vulnerability was discovered by a "gaming news site"...so I wonder how Sony's security researchers have manage to miss this vulnerability when they were investigating the first hack and the potential ways to prevent other attacks after the re-launch...How can the users have confidence in Sony after this new incident...
Also If we take a look at this hole "hack attack" we can clearly saythat Sony wasn't ready for an attack on their PSN.......When you're storing users data you should always have very stric security measures in place to prevent any breach....

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
FYI, this was an exploit and not a hack.

Update: Sony has confirmed that there was "a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed." However, the company indicates there was "no hack involved." So, remember kiddies: exploits are not hacks -- not until someone starts having fun with them, anyway.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/18/psn-logins-exploited-again-sony-takes-sign-in-pages-offline/

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
storm the PSN is up and running now ..right? Apart from chaning you password ....did you take any other measures?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
PSN is currently down for some places, like the UK.
http://uk.playstation.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.