Hackers Can Clone Millions of Toyota, Hyundai, and Kia Keys

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Over the past few years, owners of cars with keyless start systems have learned to worry about so-called relay attacks, in which hackers exploit radio-enabled keys to steal vehicles without leaving a trace. Now it turns out that many millions of other cars that use chip-enabled mechanical keys are also vulnerable to high-tech theft. A few cryptographic flaws combined with a little old-fashioned hot-wiring—or even a well-placed screwdriver—lets hackers clone those keys and drive away in seconds.

Researchers from KU Leuven in Belgium and the University of Birmingham in the UK earlier this week revealed new vulnerabilities they found in the encryption systems used by immobilizers, the radio-enabled devices inside of cars that communicate at close range with a key fob to unlock the car's ignition and allow it to start. Specifically, they found problems in how Toyota, Hyundai, and Kia implement a Texas Instruments encryption system called DST80. A hacker who swipes a relatively inexpensive Proxmark RFID reader/transmitter device near the key fob of any car with DST80 inside can gain enough information to derive its secret cryptographic value. That, in turn, would allow the attacker to use the same Proxmark device to impersonate the key inside the car, disabling the immobilizer and letting them start the engine.

The researchers say the affected car models include the Toyota Camry, Corolla, and RAV4; the Kia Optima, Soul, and Rio; and the Hyundai I10, I20, and I40. The full list of vehicles that the researchers found to have the cryptographic flaws in their immobilizers is below :
carmodels_Screen-Shot-2020-03-04-at-1.41.46-PM.jpg

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Put your key fobs in a metal box or RFID pouch. I put them in an RFID pouch and enclose in a metal box.

Leave it inside your garage or have a cheap car in front. If a thief really wanted your vehicle (expensive super car), they will tow it.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
This vulnerability affects classic keys with immobilizer. However, I have been hearing about similar theft techniques for years. This is "only" a new additional possibility.
I thought it was a way to amplify and duplicate the Master Key's radio waves. Is that different?
🚙🚙🚙
In a small residential area in Japan, it has been reported that a thief on the street hacks the electromagnetic waves of a master key placed inside a house.o_O

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.