Privacy News Hackers Learning How To Shut Down Internet

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
A security expert has warned that a group of hackers is attempting to see if it’s possible to bring down the internet completely.

According to Bruce Schneier writing in a blog post, hacker collectives, most likely to have been sanctioned by either China or Russia, is testing the defences of companies that run critical parts of the Internet.
“Someone is extensively testing the core defensive capabilities of the companies that provide critical Internet services… What can we do about this? Nothing, really. We don’t know where the attacks come from.”

The attacks on crucial structural links of the internet have been steadily increasing over time, and are consistently trying to find a weak point they can breach in order to try and bring it down.

“We don’t know who is doing this, but it feels like a large nation state. China or Russia would be my first guesses,” writes Schneier. “These attacks are significantly larger than the ones they’re used to seeing. They last longer. They’re more sophisticated. And they look like probing. One week, the attack would start at a particular level of attack and slowly ramp up before stopping. The next week, it would start at that higher point and continue. And so on, along those lines, as if the attacker were looking for the exact point of failure.”

These type of attacks, according to Schneier, are uncharacteristic behaviour of normal hackers. Instead, they do resemble the core profiling activity of basic infrastructure that is commonly seen in espionage and intelligence gathering.

You can read the rest of the news here at: Hackers Learning How To Shut Down Internet |

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I respect the author and have been reading his stuff for a long time , but saying
"-- points to state actors " doesn't make it a fact .

It may be evidence , but it's not proof , and if I were a nation state considering such an attack ,
I would be taking extra steps to make sure that another state would get the blame .

As for the attack method I can see why they might choose DDoS , multiplied up to a massive scale ,
but the sheer number of servers that would have to be attacked is mind boggling .
It would need a botnet that was orders of magnitude bigger than anything seen so far .

The more obvious attack method would be on the OS of the servers themselves , but the vast majority are running Linux
( Oops , I meant GNU/Linux :) ) , so that makes a potential attacker's task much harder , thankfully !

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.