Hacking Team, new tools to know if a PC is infected!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello everyone.
In this thread I want to talk about the new tools released, used to know if a computer is infected by the malware of Hacking Team.
The first tool was released by Facebook, which can let you know if a Mac is infected, so it is built for Apple systems.
The second tool was released by Rook Security.
Facebook has updated its security tool 'Osquery' dedicated to engineers and developers: now you can find out if the' malware ' Hacking Team is present on Mac OSX, Apple computers, and can intercept mail, conversations over the Internet with Voip system (used by Skype, for example) and messages.This kit contains various searches "that identify known variants of malware, if any of these results, it means that the Mac is compromised," says Mark Zuckerberg's company in a post.

Other tool available for free is the Rook company Security: it's called ' Milan' and goes in search of the files associated with Hacking Team. Will be updated as they are examined over 400GB of data stolen milanese society. In the days following the attack on Hacking Team, Microsoft has made an update on all emergency Windows versions, while Adobe Flash has 'patched' program that showed repeated vulnerability. So much so that the head of security of Facebook, Alex Stamos, has called for the closure.

You can read the full-article here: http://www.repubblica.it/tecnologia...ere_se_il_pc_e_stato_infettato-119594986/?rss

MTIyMzA0MTAzOTc0OTk0NTM0.jpg

D

Deleted member 21043

It's good to see some more effort is in place... But...

The big question is, would you really trust a tool which Facebook released? I would just avoid using whatever Facebook release, especially for security....

Recently a lot of people I know on Facebook were hacked due to a chain of fake links to a phishing page, and it took a very long time of reports for anything to be done...

They should just focus on their social network...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
If Facebook user downloads everything from the web/torrents or click on every link without checking it first then Facebook can't do anything. There are several things you can enable under Settings to avoid unauthorized access:
  1. 2-factor authentication
  2. Login codes (unique code)
  3. Section: Where are you logged in
  4. Log-in notifications and so on....
ESET technology now integrated directly into Facebook

I am quite sure that there are fake/phishing sites for PayPal and other important websites.

Regards,
Kardo

D

Deleted member 21043

If Facebook user downloads everything from the web/torrents or click on every link without checking it first then Facebook can't do anything. There are several things you can enable under Settings to avoid unauthorized access:
  1. 2-factor authentication
  2. Login codes (unique code)
  3. Section: Where are you logged in
  4. Log-in notifications and so on....
ESET technology now integrated directly into Facebook

I am quite sure that there are fake/phishing sites for PayPal and other important websites.

Regards,
Kardo
Yes, you're right. But they could put more effort into it in my opinion. (I mean for moderation).

Reactions: Kardo Kristal
L

LabZero

Over one billion people around the world use Facebook and unfortunately not all of these people have clear safety concept and despite new measures are implemented that protect the security of personal data, these are not always protected (NSA ... Snowden ...).
I therefore think that Facebook should invest more to protect their users especially if these do not have the technical knowledge to do so.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I think by now almost all AV vendors would have been capable of detecting the malware family, and clients of HackingTeam would have dismantled their infrastructure, so the chance of finding a live malware on your system is pretty low. :)

Reactions: JM Safe

Korora

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2015
It's good to see some more effort is in place... But...

The big question is, would you really trust a tool which Facebook released? I would just avoid using whatever Facebook release, especially for security....

Recently a lot of people I know on Facebook were hacked due to a chain of fake links to a phishing page, and it took a very long time of reports for anything to be done...

They should just focus on their social network...

I completely agree with you, hence maybe Facebook is getting into the security niche now? ;)

But I am also glad to see some effort is being placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.