I recommend you to upgrade your OS and install a backup solution

IE 8 is outdated : urgent upgrade if its really your default browser

Otherwise, it ok :)

Reactions: Venustus

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
Above information is my pc configuration. Anything missing which is required to be submitted, please advise at your convenience!

Where do we start hakah ? ...well, like SifhX pointed out, if your choice of browser has to be IE, please update it urgently!, next consider switching to a new browser (anything other then IE really, Firefox is a one great option which you mention). I would also consider cranking that little UAC slider all the all the way up to max power, it may be a little annoying, but it's probably one of the best defenses you can use...

AVG is better then nothing and everybody has a preference, but have you looked into any other real-time options? you may find there a re some great products out there that will provide you with better protection/detection and are still free.
Good on you for using some key encryption, Zemana is a nice add on from a security standpoint.

...Then I guess it mostly comes down to the user, you can have all the barricades in the world, but if the enemy talks you into letting them in through the back gate, well none of it was any use in the first pace. There are some great guides and tips in the forums here about good practices to help keep you safe, I recommend you read this one
Your Mouseclick Matters Guide

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Looks fine, as SifhX said update browsers and add HTTPS everywhere.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks, hakah, for sharing your configuration.:) I agree with the helpful comments made here. I too have an XP system I was not ready to stop using, but thanks to great advice on our forums I upgraded free to Linux (lubuntu). I'll get back to this in a little bit.
While continuing with XP, in the meantime, it's better, at least, to use a containment program called Sandboxie Free www.sandboxie.com to isolate your browser thus keeping your system protected until you're ready to make a decision about letting go of XP.

Here is an article I wish I'd read before I switched. It describes what can be done, very easily, with your current hardware on XP http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/...-xp-users-should-switch-to-lubuntu-this-april

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Upgrade your OS to Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 or 8.1 Update. If you buy a Windows 8 PC, the download from the Windows Store will automatically upgrade you to Windows 8.1 Update 1. If you buy a PC with Windows 8.1, you much update to Update 1 before May 2014.

Same applies if you buy the Windows 8/8.1 DVD installation discs.

Alternatively you can look at Linux distro's; Ubuntu, Linux Mint and various others.

Reactions: Venustus

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
As others have said upgrade the OS and another browser choice.Thanks for sharing your config :)

hakah

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2014
Thanks all for the comments and advice. I will carefully look into them before decision is to be made.
I am also using Firefox with add blocker in conjunction with IE 8.
I have installed WiseCare365 but remove later as afraid of changing my registry files to cause errors.

software182 : Yes, I am hakah from nsane. I am also a member of Tipradar.com/Forum. Nice to meet you here too.

Reactions: software182

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.