Happy clicker, frequent downloader; how to minimize risks?

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
1- I'm a voracious reader, I "click" on dozens of Facebook/Twitter links every day. In some cases, these links are shortened URLs. Even with common sense (I try to reverse-search), I still "blindly" click on a few links.

2- I download a lot of booklets, books, reports etc., mostly from reputable websites, but also from unknown websites (I use WOT extension). I try to verify with virustotal/URLvoid, but I still believe this isn't enough.

I use Avast free, Windows 8.1 firewall and MBAE (with on-demand scanners).
What aspects of security are particularly important in my case?

I searched MT for an answer, and I guess some of you will suggest Sandboxie. Is Sandboxie suitable for an average user who has only basic knowledge of internet security? What else can be done?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 178

Avast has a sandbox if i recall, your safety doesnt depend on how many security apps you cumulate but on how safe are your online behavior.

Dont click anything on sight, learn to read the links , download from trusted sources, etc...

Try to learn about Sandboxie , it will be very useful to you.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Do you use MBAE or MBAM? MBAE is anti exploit apps and doesn't have any Scanning feature.
Sandboxie is good idea. You can use sandboxed web browser to hardened protection.

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Do you use MBAE or MBAM? MBAE is anti exploit apps and doesn't have any Scanning feature.
Sandboxie is good idea. You can use sandboxed web browser to hardened protection.

I use Avast free, Windows 8.1 firewall, MBAE free, MBAM free, Emsisoft emergency kit and herdProtect. And I'm about to add a companion AV; Crystal security, Immunet or secureAplus.

H

hjlbx

I searched MT for an answer, and I guess some of you will suggest Sandboxie. Is Sandboxie suitable for an average user who has only basic knowledge of internet security? What else can be done?

Most certainly.

You have many resources for help with Sandboxie free. As you probably already know, Sandboxie free can be used with any browser. The only limitation is that it cannot be configured to always sandbox ("force") applications upon launch.

Sandboxie will protect against persistent infection of system while browsing. It can also be used to evaluate files for malicious behaviors - such as PDFs. However, malicious behavior will not always reveal itself sandboxed, so you should supplement system with anti-executable and anti-exploit. An ad-blocker that also filters for malicious\phishing URLs will be needed to round out protections.

It all does require some manual administration, but it does get easier over time. With softs you learn by doing...

PDFs and documents are generally higher-risk because of potential infection via embedded malware or malicious macros. You can eliminate a lot of the risk by not using Adobe and Microsoft Office Suite products. That's call reducing the attack surface. If you must use those softs, then add an anti-exploit that protects all of them.

Best Freeware options based on your post:
  • Sandboxie
  • NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro
  • EMET (only freeware that will protect everything)
  • uBlock Origin
or, in place of Sandboxie and NVT ERP

• Comodo Internet Security
  • EMET
  • uBlock Origin

The above combos will protect your system far better than any stand-alone, freeware anti-virus. The downside is that they take time and effort to learn and master.

Comodo will certainly do everything you need, if you are not afraid of it... and it's full protections are free...

You can achieve high level security with the above apps and asking for help.

You will get help here at MT... but for best results, you have to at least try the recommendations that are given.

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Avast has a sandbox if i recall, your safety doesnt depend on how many security apps you cumulate but on how safe are your online behavior.

I knew Avast free didn't have a sandbox (I never tried to know if it did until nowo_O)

This is from Avast website

What is the Sandbox?

The Sandbox is a virtualization tool in Avast Premier 2015, Avast Internet Security 2015 and Avast Pro Antivirus 2015 which allows you to browse the web or run an application in a completely isolated, safe environment.

Within the Avast Sandbox the application activity or web content is completely contained, preventing any damage to your computer. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites.

Source Avast FAQ | Avast 2015: Frequently Asked Questions - General

D

Deleted member 178

Avast IS will be a good upgrade for you... it is a complete package and quite easy to use. Later you could move on to more complex and sophisticated softwares.

Reactions: mal1

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@mal1: Actually your habit will make your infection rate very minimal, + since you use common sense to check those shorten URL then you shouldn't easily fall on a trick. Sometimes our brain is incorporated those differentiate characteristics and understood to steer away for any shady areas.

Sandboxie is a pretty good combination as long you have an AV run on realtime to determine for any possible behaviour. Maintain to have adblocker presence to prevent any untoward pop ups or even scripts.

For exploit concern, just update those affected programs to have the latest patches as possible.

Lesser security components but high knowledge to yourself is result for optimum and very flexible matter.

For shorter URL, you may add an extension that can reveal the site immediately before you click.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
or, in place of Sandboxie and NVT ERP

• Comodo Internet Security
  • EMET

EMET can work well with Sandboxie with no additional settings, as long as the application is forced into the sandbox or launced by explorer in sandbox.
But I do not know whether it could work with Comodo Auto-Sandbox or not.

H

hjlbx

EMET can work well with Sandboxie with no additional settings, as long as the application is forced into the sandbox or launced by explorer in sandbox.
But I do not know whether it could work with Comodo Auto-Sandbox or not.

Yeah. Comodo and EMET work together.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
In avast, you have an option in web shield called "warn when downloading files with poor reputation" and you will be ok.

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
In avast, you have an option in web shield called "warn when downloading files with poor reputation" and you will be ok.

Thank you so much, I just checked that option.

But I'm afraid it won't help much in my case, Avast would give warez and similar websites poor reputation, I never go there.

My worry is small PDF/PPT/EPUB files (notes, reports, books etc.) I find on wordpress, tumblr and similar websites. Sometimes I stumble on an interesting file, but I spend the whole day thinking, to click or not to click, to download or not to download.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Download and install something like a anti-executable or whitelist software like secureaplus and do it in lockdown mode. only if u want to install something change the mode to interactive or allow. First check the exe with virustotal. for me its the safest thing i can do. i have it on all my family pcs. lockdown mode and when they want to install someting i have tell them they need to call me and ask me what todo and what the download is. after that the system was clean. its almost 1 year now.

Reactions: mal1 and Jack

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
- I'm a voracious reader, I "click" on dozens of Facebook/Twitter links every day. In some cases, these links are shortened URLs. Even with common sense (I try to reverse-search), I still "blindly" click on a few links.

Use Dr. Web Link Checker - it will automatically check the links upon first click. Install to your preferred web browser.

upload_2015-11-1_17-50-55.png

Reactions: Deleted member 178
H

hjlbx

Dr Web Link Checker would be perfect for @mal1.

Good grief, I didn't know it was still around...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.