Hot Take This Is How I Protect My Phone Browsers Against Malware

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just against malware and nothing else like phone settings, log in security, privacy etc

Criteria

1) Real-time protection and web protection
2) Protection against malware during APK installation

Requirements

1) BitDefender Mobile Security – To provide real-time protection and web protection against malicious and phishing websites
2) Mullvad VPN with NextDNS – To provide DNS queries protection besides greater privacy with Always-On VPN when double-hopping
3) Browsers – Firefox and Kiwi browsers. Firefox browser is supported by BitDefender by default for web protection whilst Kiwi browser is tested to support BitDefender’s web protection.

Firefox Browser

Protected by

1) BitDefender Mobile Security – default support for real-time protection and web protection against malicious and phishing websites

2) It has limited add-ons support. So, using Adguard AdBlocker with almost all the filters enabled would give adequate protection against ads/privacy/social widgets/annoyances/security/other which are NOT protected by BitDefender Mobile Security. Adguard AdBlocker is chosen over uBO for its ease of accessing websites in mobile use. uBO is more difficult to use on mobile websites.

3) DNS queries are protected by Mullvad VPN with NextDNS. Firefox browser comes with 6 trackers and telemetry. These are blocked by NextDNS.

4) APK downloads are checked by BitDefender Mobile Security during installation

Kiwi Browser

Protected by

1) BitDefender Mobile Security – Not officially a supported browser but tested to support web protection against malicious and phishing websites in real-time

2) Has vast Chrome extensions support. Use of Adguard AdBlocker (with many filters) for ease of accessing websites plus other extensions for a safer surfing.

3) DNS queries are protected by Mullvad VPN with NextDNS. Kiwi browser do NOT come with trackers.

4) APK downloads are checked by BitDefender Mobile Security during installation

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes good and secure setup Harbor, I have a similar setup with Firefox/Mullvad/NextDns/Telegram/Threema. I do still use chrome from time to time though.
FF mobile do not allow you to access its about:config. So, how do you block FF telemetry?

Some says NextDNS, by default, blocks FF telemetry but NextDNS now is a partner of FF's DoH. I'm not so sure whether NextDNS is blocking FF telemetry unless you add blocking FF telemetry in NextDNS's DenyList

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Check your NextDns console and look at filterlists. I'm not so worried about Firefox telemetry. Google on the other hand :rolleyes:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Check your NextDns console and look at filterlists. I'm not so worried about Firefox telemetry. Google on the other hand :rolleyes:

I doubt there's blocking of FF telemetry in NextDNS filterlists. FYI, Adguard for desktop don't show blocking of FF telemetry so the Adguard for android would, IMO, be likewise.

You can block Google using filterlists in NextDNS but some of Google services or even Chrome itself might not work

An example is shown below when I have blocking Google in NextDNS No Google filter

Screenshot-20230526-145226-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.