Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hi guys,
i began to use hard configurator tool developed by our genius @Andy Ful
but i have couple of questions ??
  1. how to know if the configuration is on or off ?? for example what is the difference between value on the right and in the left ??
    1565631655967.png
    :unsure::unsure:
  2. could be used beside Emsisoft and Vodoo shield or will be overkill set up??
  3. how to avoid problems with interpreters and developer tools such as code studio and pycharm ??
  4. what is the recommended setting applied hen i agree ??

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hi guys,
i began to use hard configurator tool developed by our genius @Andy Ful
but i have couple of questions ??
  1. how to know if the configuration is on or off ?? for example what is the difference between value on the right and in the left ??View attachment 219720:unsure::unsure:
  2. could be used beside Emsisoft and Vodoo shield or will be overkill set up??
  3. how to avoid problems with interpreters and developer tools such as code studio and pycharm ??
  4. what is the recommended setting applied hen i agree ??

First off, your questions are best posted on H_C thread, which helps to consolidate user questions and issues.

Point 1A - You will receive a prompt. You press "Recommended settings" to load the default recommended profile. Or, you load the profile of your choice via the "Load Profile" button on bottom of UI and you will receive a prompt.

Point 1B - the values on the far tight and far left are for the feature next to it.

Point 2 - Some would say that with Eset properly configured you would NOT need VS. H_C in my opinion would be optional. Otherwise, your choice depends on your system and your personal preference. Some would call it overkill, or extra overkill with Eset @ HIPS + VS + H_C :ROFLMAO:.
(I guess I can't read well!)

Point 2 Edit: Either combo of 2 is pretty locked down. H_C is OS hardening. VS is a hybrid realtime lock/default-deny. Some might consider all 3 together overkill, while others would disagree. Your preference. Your choice. (y)

Point 3 - I can't provide specific help, but any or most blocks are logged so you would have to check those. Go to Tools > Blocked Events/Security Logs to check the logs. The log info may help pinpoint the specific answer to your question, which is best answered by @Andy Ful or someone who knows those programs. I do not.

Point 4 - I'm not sure i understand your question. See Point 1A above.

The easiest user-friendly default setup in H_C is the Recommended Settings. Then you can build from there, or change profile and make other individual selections if desired.

Visual studio doesn't start until i disabled the enforcement option in the tool
is there any documentation explain each functionality for this tool options ?? @Andy Ful

There is a Help button next to each feature which gives some info. Also see the user manual in Tools. When you toggle each feature, e.g. "Hide: Run as Administrator" it takes you through different options for that setting. Important: Some individual features, e.g. Block Powershell .... depend on the profile you select, then the "Help" will provide some info or refer you to the user manual.

Again, I can't stress the importance of posting issues, etc. in the H_C thread for the benefit of all interested members. Hope this helps you, my friend. (y) :)

Last edited:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
First off, your questions are best posted on H_C thread, which helps to consolidate user questions and issues.

Point 1A - You will receive a prompt. You press "Recommended settings" to load the default recommended profile. Or, you load the profile of your choice via the "Load Profile" button on bottom of UI and you will receive a prompt.

Point 1B - the values on the far tight and far left are for the feature next to it.

Point 2 - Some would say that with Eset properly configured you would NOT need VS. H_C in my opinion would be optional. Otherwise, your choice depends on your system and your personal preference. Some would call it overkill, or extra overkill with Eset @ HIPS + VS + H_C :ROFLMAO:.

Point 3 - I can't provide specific help, but any or most blocks are logged so you would have to check those. Go to Tools > Blocked Events/Security Logs to check the logs. The log info may help pinpoint the specific answer to your question, which is best answered by @Andy Ful or someone who knows those programs. I do not.

Point 4 - I'm not sure i understand your question. See Point 1A above.

The easiest user-friendly default setup in H_C is the Recommended Settings. Then you can build from there, or change profile and make other individual selections if desired.

There is a Help button next to each feature which gives some info. Also see the user manual in Tools. When you toggle each feature, e.g. "Hide: Run as Administrator" it takes you through different options for that setting. Important: Some individual features, e.g. Block Powershell .... depend on the profile you select, then the "Help" will provide some info or refer you to the user manual.

Again, I can't stress the importance of posting issues, etc. in the H_C thread for the benefit of all interested members. Hope this helps you, my friend. (y) :)
Thanks allot for this detailed answer
By the way I am using emsisoft as my real time protection which doesn't have much tweaks which make me angry as I like to play :mad::mad::mad:
But i get used to it it simple tool with great features and simple UI I would prefer if there is a portable version but this is fine but there is some points I want to read about it like whitelist by hash etc
But learning curve is fine it is simple and great tool thanks again @oldschool for your answer :love::love::love:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Oops! :rolleyes: Please see edited above post.
No problem but I like real time montoring done by VS when executing any excitable files HC is silent one time configuration and need to be changed manually in some times on the other hand VS is more flexible in real time especially in smart mode which I feel it integrate HC as second line of system defence so I think it is not overkill setup IMO

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
@DDE_Server I should have specified that H_C recommended settings are easy depending on your system and apps you have installed. Apps which install in the Userspace will require whitelisting.
I did white list but I toggled run by smart screen off as I am not using WD and added block windows host script also later I will try to harden the firewall

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I did white list but I toggled run by smart screen off as I am not using WD and added block windows host script also later I will try to harden the firewall

Could you please post here the screenshot of H_C panel with your actual settings?

SmartScreen is independent of WD and allows safely install applications. It can give much less false positives than VS Autopilot mode and VS AI. If you set <Run As SmartScreen> = OFF, then you will get 2 problems:
  1. Much more false positives based on Virus Total and VS AI detection.
  2. No ability to install applications in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). This can be overcome by setting <Hide 'Run as administrator'> = OFF.
Please use first the 'Recommended Settings' for some weeks (green button).
Why did you turn off the options <Documents Anti-Exploit> and <Block PowerShell Scripts>?:unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.