Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Analysis: Hardware could be the next frontier for cyber security:

We tend to think of cyber security as a software issue with a software solution: install antivirus or firewall software on your device and it can protect against the majority of threats out there.

However, this is ignoring hardware-based attacks, a type of cyber threat that security providers are taking increasingly seriously.

To some extent, this is because a lot of the work to combat hardware threats is happening under the hood. Providers of chips to the car industry, service providers and device manufacturers, as well as the banking and military industries, such as NXP, will build hardware security into the chips they sell.

However, there are still plenty of unsecured chips out there, vulnerable to several major types of hardware attack.

These include side-channel attacks, which are techniques that allow attackers to monitor the analogue characteristics and interface connections and any electromagnetic radiation.

Differential power analysis (DPA) is a type of side-channel attack which measures the electrical power consumption or electromagnetic emissions from the device. From these measurements, attackers can derive cryptographic keys and private data.

These keys allow attackers to easily gain unauthorised access to a device, decrypt or forge messages, steal identities, clone devices, create unauthorised signatures and perform additional unauthorised transactions.

Another type of attack, fault generation, uses “abnormal environmental conditions to generate malfunctions in the system that provide additional access,” according to Cambridge professor Dr Sergei Skorobogatov’s paper Hardware Security of Semiconductor Chips: Progress and Lessons. This could include electrical glitches introduced to cause a chip to fail to execute a command.

According to Mathias Wagner, Security Fellow at NXP, this phenomenon also occurs naturally in space as a result of cosmic radiation, which means that trips into space have to have multiple computers to retain accuracy.

Reverse engineering, another type of attack allows attackers to deconstruct a chip to understand how the secure key works.

Some of these attacks are fairly basic, with the required equipment costing anywhere from £5000 to £40000, according to NXP’s Wagner. Much of the equipment is commercially available, he adds. For example, a DPA based attack would simply require an oscilloscope, which measures voltage.

He says that a device with an unsecured chip could be hacked using these techniques very quickly. If secured it could take much longer.

Unlike a software attack, a hardware-based attack requires a degree of proximity. This is why the danger of losing devices is such a big one.

The memory and storage company Crucial obtained figures revealing that almost two laptops per day are lost on the London Underground network, with 3,533 laptops reported lost in the last five years on the Transport for London rail network.

An additional 801 have gone missing in the last three years at eleven Network Rail operated stations across the UK.

Wagner says that hardware attacks could potentially work against a device such as an iPhone, although not against the secure elements themselves but rather against a microcontroller being used for an apps controller.

“If you use software on a standard microcontroller you are vulnerable to this kind of attack,” says Wagner.

For example, it is possible that a side-channel attack might have been used to hack into the phone of the iPhone of San Bernandino shooter.

In March, the FBI dropped a court battle against Apple after a third-party provided a means to hack into the killer of Syed Rizwan Farook. An unnamed third party was credited with providing the solution.

Experts interviewed by IEEE Spectrum in a feature on the hack acknowledged that a side-channel attack was a possibility...

Continue reading this article at the link at at the top of the page.

H

hjlbx

Firmware is an entirely uncharted beast - an attack surface full of potential for the astute malc0der.

If you use virtualization, snapshot or any imaging software - they won't protect your system against malicious firmware.

Firmware "lives" in areas other than the system partition - and that is not covered\protected by virtualization, snapshot or imaging softs.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks for the share :)

When I had no PC / internet, I was less worry about security ...
I have got a solution : I will stop using ... internet ! :confused:

=> lol, impossible :p
Haha :D...Yes,It is strange to think how we would cope should the Internet cease to exist anymore..
That is the nature of these things,I guess..Yesterdays Invention Is Tomorrows Necessity...
..IMO Security of any kind is an illusion,..No more than an emotionally distorted perception created in our subconscious in order to make us feel better...True Security can never be attained, so we settle for "feeling secure" instead.
I guess that most of us here have sculpted our own security configurations that,despite making us far less likely to have our systems breached than the general population,could be penetrated in the blink of an eye by a skilled hacker with a grudge.

I fear for those that fall in love with the ever growing IoT trend...attracted to the latest "smart" products like moths to a flame.
I am waiting for the day that "Smart Shoes" become the norm,and a hacker can use bluetooth to walk somebody off a cliff:D
Firmware is an entirely uncharted beast - an attack surface full of potential for the astute malc0der.

If you use virtualization, snapshot or any imaging software - they won't protect your system against malicious firmware.

Firmware "lives" in areas other than the system partition - and that is not covered\protected by virtualization, snapshot or imaging softs.
Great point...and it is a shame that our Hardware options are not as broad as our Software ones..
A competitive Software market with a multitude of products/developers creates a "Sink or Swim" dynamic,which has led to a wide range of high quality products (many free) to choose between...
Whereas Hardware wise in time we will be left with only a choice between MicroShaft, Screwgle, and Crapple!

NekoHr

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 5, 2016
When I had no PC / internet, I was less worry about security ...
I have got a solution : I will stop using ... internet ! :confused:

/paranoid mode on
Disconnect internet might not help. If your BIOS/firmware is infected + using sound or light or EM radiation to breach airgap. Like alleged BadBios. We are doomed ;)
/paranoid mode off

Reactions: Logethica

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
/paranoid mode on
Disconnect internet might not help. If your BIOS/firmware is infected + using sound or light or EM radiation to breach airgap. Like alleged BadBios. We are doomed ;)
/paranoid mode off
Was just saying that with no more internet : no more bad news, mails, bad attachments, bad urls, bad files downloaded on my PC an no more worry.
But you gave me another food to worry more :(

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.