jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Hi-

Browser in the Box | Rohde & Schwarz Cybersecurity

This seems to be a secure browser developed by a independent security company- as far as I can tell it is is Firefox which is set up to automatically run inside a virtual machine.

This seems like a good idea. And although I have never heard of the developers, they appear to be a legitimate cyber security company.

Any comments ? Anyone tried this ?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Same as if you run FF in Sandboxie

I might give it a spin later since it's free for individual use. Just not sure how often they update the browser, any extensions allow etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Deletedmessiah

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The requirements for Windows installation is here

Installation under Windows
The following requirements to the hard- and software are prerequisite to a successful operation of "Browser in the Box" under Windows.

Operating system
  • Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 / 8 / 8.1
  • VirtualBox Version 4.3.20_Sirrix (part of the installation package)
Hardware
  • At least 2 GB RAM
  • At least 1,8 GHz CPU (e.g. Core2Duo)
  • At least 2 GB free disk space
  • activated virtualization technology
    (Intel VT-x with Intel EPT or AMD-V with RVI)
  • Internet connection
Recommended
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 2 GHz CPU or more
  • 64-Bit technology
  • activated virtualization technology
    (Intel VT-x with Intel EPT or AMD-V with RVI)
  • At least 2 GB free disk space
  • Internet connection

It's using VirtualBox with FF/Chrome.

https://www.sirrix.com/content/pages/59796.htm

So, do I need to remove my current FF and Chrome browsers? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: shukla44

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
That’s pretty interesting never really seen this before :eek:
No new technology here. You can also install and run FF/Chrome in VirtualBox

I believe they package everything nicely for the user to use

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I tried this concept long ago (Bitbox). This is Linux with Firefox in a virtual machine. It saved at this time downloads to the host machine. That means that you're not protected if you download malicious files and run them. Don't know how it is today with this tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I tried this long ago. This is Linux with Firefox in a virtual machine. It saved at this time downloads to the host machine. That means that you're not protected if you download malicious files and run them. Don't know how it is today.
Your AV not protecting you?

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Your AV not protecting you?
Facepalm. Why I need a browser that is in a virtual box and moves all downloaded files to the host machine? Don't know how this browser will secure me because I tried only BitBox that has the same concept. SemperVideo (a german youtuber) made a video about the BitBox:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I also tried it a while back.
It is different from Sandboxie, because it is full virtualization, it is VirtualBox. It is not integrated into the real OS. The only integration is that it saves your downloads to your real system. I think you can change that behavior, though.
It eats CPU because you are running a second OS (Linux), and it is not a very convenient way to browse.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I also tried it a while back.
It is different from Sandboxie, because it is full virtualization, it is VirtualBox. It is not integrated into the real OS. The only integration is that it saves your downloads to your real system. I think you can change that behavior, though.
It eats CPU because you are running a second OS (Linux), and it is not a very convenient way to browse.
How's the similarity to Shadow Defender?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How's the similarity to Shadow Defender?
Different concept. Shadow Defender does nothing to protect you during the current session, and everything to protect you when you reboot.
But running your browser in a Linux virtual machine is meant to protect your current session from infection, because 1) your real OS is completely separate 2) Linux is very hard to infect (because we are not talking here about servers, which are a target for Linux infections, we are just talking about a home PC).

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Different concept. Shadow Defender does nothing to protect you during the current session, and everything to protect you when you reboot.
But running your browser in a Linux virtual machine is meant to protect your current session from infection, because 1) your real OS is completely separate 2) Linux is very hard to infect (because we are not talking here about servers, which are a target for Linux infections, we are just talking about a home PC).
How's the difference if I install VB and then run Chrome/FF as compared to BitBox?

So to prevent malware infection which is the strongest..use VB, SD or SBIE? And easiest to use?

Reactions: shukla44

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How's the difference if I install VB and then run Chrome/FF as compared to BitBox?

So to prevent malware infection which is the strongest..use VB, SD or SBIE? And easiest to use?
1 I never used BitBox. But as far as Browser in a Box is concerned, it gives you a ready-made linux virtual machine that is exactly the size of the browser window, no more and no less, so it looks as if you are running your browser natively. And by default it gives you an easy way to retrieve your downloads.

2 SD is a different animal, we can't really compare it to the other two.
SBIE is much more convenient to use than Browser in a Box, and is quite secure, and if you are paranoid, there are guides for tweaking it. I would go for SBIE, and not Browser in a Box .

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
1 I never used BitBox. But as far as Browser in a Box is concerned, it gives you a ready-made linux virtual machine that is exactly the size of the browser window, no more and no less, so it looks as if you are running your browser natively. And by default it gives you an easy way to retrieve your downloads.

2 SD is a different animal, we can't really compare it to the other two.
SBIE is much more convenient to use than Browser in a Box, and is quite secure, and if you are paranoid, there are guides for tweaking it. I would go for SBIE, and not Browser in a Box .
But you said you tried it in post #11?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sorry for not being clear -- I was referring back to the original subject, not the immediately preceding post.
Okay, let's finally clear things up: BitBox is the same as Browser in the Box. So I did try it, after all.
I didn't know it is the same software.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.