Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Weather Channel Desktop continues requiring me to go through an elaborate process of registration every time I reboot my computer.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I have shredded and re-installed the Weather Channel Desktop.
My computer was in the repair shop. The guy who was working on it, after fixing it by restoring it to a couple of days prior to the breakdown, arrogantly took it upon himself to butcher my Start Menu and my Quick Launch by shredding (not deleting) the overwhelming majority of my shortcuts.

Somehow at the same time my Weather Channel Desktop got screwed up. Ever since then, the Weather Channel Desktop has been requiring me to go through an elaborate process of registration every time I reboot my computer. I have to re-enter my age, gender, year of birth, and location, and I have to reject Ask Toolbar and other piggyback programs. I have shredded and re-installed the Weather Channel Desktop, but the problem continues.

Prior to the shredding and re-install, the Weather Channel Desktop was not showing up in Revo and my other uninstall programs. I don't think that would have been the case before the computer went to the shop.

It appears to me that there is no free support for the Weather Channel Desktop. Despite that, I still find the program very useful. I would say it's one of my favorite programs. I hope someone can offer me some advice for fixing this problem.

Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello conceptualclarity.
Although I haven't used The Weather Channel Desktop, I wondered if an older version might help, so I did some digging (searching).;)

Here is a portion from one of their forum entries with links for an older version that might work for you.
I hope it does.

1. We are listening to your feedback. You can now download our previous version of The Weather Channel Desktop using the following link: http://download.weather.com/web/dwzeus/dw6/install/stub/adweather4sp_StubInstaller.exe
  2. If the link doesn’t work, you can go to this webpage to get the download: http://www.weather.com/services/dw7/product/winapp_uninstall.html

We will continue to address your concerns with the new The Weather Channel App so look out for information on newer versions.

Thanks!

Source: http://feedback.weather.com/forums/...stions/2612767-i-liked-the-old-version-better

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.