Expired Heimdal PRO 2.2.151 for 6 Months Free

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Yes, this is a small glitch (or by design?) every 2 ~ 3 seconds there is a peak of about 6% of CPU ...
As far as I know, it's by design. I forgot how Andra said it in PM, but she said that Heimdal has to do certain tasks that will spike CPU every few seconds.

Edit:
Andra to my question why WMI spikes CPU every few seconds: "Behind the scenes, Heimdal uses the WMI service in Windows to search for the available NIC cards. It forces the network card to add 127.0.0.1 and then uses our DNS Server for filter all your Internet traffic. If you change 127.0.0.1 to automatically detect the DNS Server, after few seconds you will see that the Localhost IP Address is still there. That’s because Heimdal searches every few seconds if our DNS Server is still there, which is why this might lead to a slight CPU increase." (Emphasis mine)

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
tried it but had to get rid of it.
i hate security software that wants to enforce everything on you, Heimdal gives no option to ignore its warning, you have to actually disable its features if you want to do something....

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
tried it but had to get rid of it.
i hate security software that wants to enforce everything on you, Heimdal gives no option to ignore its warning, you have to actually disable its features if you want to do something....
The option they give for a long-term solution is to report the site to them. But even this reporting can be a hassle.

It's better this way: Heimdal allows exclusions, but the excluded items get automatically sent to them for further inspections. If they found the sites safe, then include them in the whitelist. But if not, the sites would still be blocked.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
The option they give for a long-term solution is to report the site to them. But even this reporting can be a hassle.

It's better this way: Heimdal allows exclusions, but the excluded items get automatically sent to them for further inspections. If they found the sites safe, then include them in the whitelist. But if not, the sites would still be blocked.
what you just wrote down is the exact opposite of having exclusions..

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
what you just wrote down is the exact opposite of having exclusions..
It's not the "exact opposite of having exclusions", but one way of implementing an exclusion feature.

Exclusion = allow a site to be loaded
Exact opposite of exclusion = do not allow a site to be loaded no matter what, unless features are disabled
What I wrote = allow a site to be loaded (always as long as it's in the users exclusion's list), but if still found to be bad, don't include in the global whitelist

I was commenting to a possible alternative to how Heimdal should handle flagged sites. Instead of emailing them, why not provide an option in the GUI for faster and convenient access? :)

Reactions: harlan4096

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
It's not the "exact opposite of having exclusions", but one way of implementing an exclusion feature.

Exclusion = allow a site to be loaded
Exact opposite of exclusion = do not allow a site to be loaded no matter what, unless features are disabled
What I wrote = allow a site to be loaded (always as long as it's in the users exclusion's list), but if still found to be bad, don't include in the global whitelist

I was commenting to a possible alternative to how Heimdal should handle flagged sites. Instead of emailing them, why not provide an option in the GUI for faster and convenient access? :)
or they can just drop a "ignore message, let me pass" on the warning message?

like chrome does it when the SSL certificate expired on a site.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
or they can just drop a "ignore message, let me pass" on the warning message?
Similar requests had been made in the past, but they refused, saying that they don't want users to commit mistakes. Their solution for any request to remove the detection was to contact them, which is to me, a hassle. The same rationale had been used for the absence of an exit button in the GUI.

As a side note, I might uninstall Heimdal later today or tomorrow because it still doesn't work as expected (bugs). For instance, most of the time, turning off Traffic Filtering doesn't turn off Traffic Filtering (the same for turning on).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.