Heimdal what exactly does?

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I have a 3 years licence i dont know if are a good product, in their site says scan outbount traffic, i dont understand how scan have a malware engenie who scan traffic, scan in dns?, i do not understand how work. For me only changue dns and sometimes scan traffic, but nothing extraordinariy or i missunderstond?

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I have a 3 years licence i dont know if are a good product, in their site says scan outbount traffic, i dont understand how scan have a malware engenie who scan traffic, scan in dns?, i do not understand how work. For me only changue dns and sometimes scan traffic, but nothing extraordinariy or i missunderstond?
Heimdal Pro uses a filter on the network adapter, scanning for infected websites that can drop malware or steal personal data using phishing/ scams.
Perhaps this product can improve, but certainly it is not a placebo.
If you already have a three-year paid license, why not use it?

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Heimdal Pro uses a filter on the network adapter, scanning for infected websites that can drop malware or steal personal data using phishing/ scams.
Perhaps this product can improve, but certainly it is not a placebo.
If you already have a three-year paid license, why not use it?
A few months ago they introduced their own technology using machine learning detection called VectorN - in simple words it performs in-depth analysis of all incoming and outgoing HTTP, HTTPS and DNS traffic to help to secure systems against ransomware.
More information regarding VectorN can be found here.

they are lying on their website
Any evidence to prove your statement or you just posting bs to gain some more reputation points...?

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
For me is a very dificult dilema ¿Really a placebo product? I dont know i think is reputable software . Now using the word of day Heimdal overlap something whith emsisoft antimalware or shadow defender or adguard? Heimdal does something what that another sofwares do?

Andra Zaharia

From Heimdal
Verified
Jun 29, 2015
Hi everyone,

I really appreciate everyone's input here.

Just to give you a quick overview: Heimdal does traffic-based malware detection and blocking (only traffic, no signatures, no software behavior) and patching (automated, silent). It is an antivirus supplement that works proactively to complement your security setup. It's not browser-based and it's not an add-on. It's a standalone desktop application compatible with Windows versions 7 to 10.

The core of the product is the same for Heimdal PRO and Heimdal CORP, but the latter also includes access to a dedicated dashboard rich with in-depth information about endpoints protected by the product.

In terms of placebos, there is no such claim related to Heimdal products and we actually always emphasize the need for multiple security layers. Here is just one example: How to Protect Your PC with Multiple Layers of Security

In terms of resource consumption, it depends on what Heimdal is doing at that moment. If it's patching, a spike in usage will naturally happen. Otherwise, we try to constantly improve Heimdal to maintain as low of a footprint as possible, while still providing as high of a protection level as possible.

If you have any other questions related to the product, I'd be happy to help with clarifications.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I'm understanding what @Andra Zaharia is saying. It is just like a DNS server: It blocks servers that are being used by ransomware etc. There are also anti ransomware lists for Pi-Hole.
In reality it doesn't work against new ransomware. A computer without AV except Heimdal can be compromited fast. I also can't recommend this product like others here.

Andra Zaharia

From Heimdal
Verified
Jun 29, 2015

Andra Zaharia

From Heimdal
Verified
Jun 29, 2015
Hi,
The link you provided means nothing!ppl like Mr pablozi like your soft for fun!
From what I see it cant even block a single phishing page(i wonder how it is going to block advanced attacks) pls Show me the real world test like the link I gave you :)
While I do not agree with the first part of your statement, I understand your reluctancy and where it comes from.

We will have an independent, reliable test coming out in the near future, which I will gladly share on this thread once it's out.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I am using Heimdal Pro and I am very satisfied user. ;)

I understand every skeptical comment about Heimdal, how it works and what's the purpose of having it, because I was in the same shoes.

@Andra Zaharia Power users want more tests, see Heimdal in "action". Heimdal blog posts aren't enough, I know you guys trying hard to "explain". It just doesn't work that way with security programs. It's like fighting non-believer, it doesn't matter what you are saying in (blog posts) until you can prove everything said, and I don't blame them. :notworthy:

Christian: "Why don't you believe God exists?"
Atheist: "Prove it does"
Christian: "To believe God, you don't need proofs, you just feel it in your heart, it's a love"
Atheist: "If you can't prove it, you are a brain sucked sectant, get lost"

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.