North America
Age group
41 - 50
Last known PC infection
I am joining because my PC is infected

Roadjet

Thread author
Jul 28, 2019
New to this forum, and this will be my first question.
Just had to 'rebuild' system and security due to 'well-known' AV allowing access through their firewall, a 'Consumer Data Platform' which aggragates information gathered from sales, social sites, deep dives into public data, then providing said info to any third party willing to pay. Organization is public company based in california.
Is anyone concerned by this behavior?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
New to this forum, and this will be my first question.
Just had to 'rebuild' system and security due to 'well-known' AV allowing access through their firewall, a 'Consumer Data Platform' which aggragates information gathered from sales, social sites, deep dives into public data, then providing said info to any third party willing to pay. Organization is public company based in california.
Is anyone concerned by this behavior?

I'm gonna guess you were using a free AV.

Unless you really need to... I always advise against using a free AV. 'Cause most of them will monetize your data in some way.

If this is Avast, this is expected behavior. They are just one big data-monetizing machine.

And welcome to MT :)

Roadjet

Thread author
Jul 28, 2019
I'm gonna guess you were using a free AV.

Unless you really need to... I always advise against using a free AV. 'Cause most of them will monetize your data in some way.

If this is Avast, this is expected behavior. They are just one big data-monetizing machine.

And welcome to MT :)
Correct, but it was paid version-3+yr. I have to agree with you about 'nickle & dime'. Think that corruption came from CDP trying to install 'proxies' which didn't like 'dnscrypt'.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.