help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
Can someone help me get started. I'm just begining to learn about malware and methods to remove them. How do I get started downloading malware so I can then start practicing removing it. I have setup a practice/test computer to use.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Hi and welcome to MT :)
There is section in forum virus exchange where you will find malware to test but wait virus and malware are not a toy to play with but they are like pistols and guns which will not harm body but security and computer.

There are lot of experience user here which will help you to gain knowledge in this sector.

First of all you have to mention your experience/knowledge about computer and security then after we can advice you.

Second never run this types of stuffs (malware/virus) on main machine,it should always be done on spare machine and if it is not available then Virtual machine.

Hope other members help you out to gain more knowledge about this...
Enjoy your stay here :)

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Instead of just piling a bunch of links in a reply I would suggest just exploring the site. Everything is nicely organized at the top of the screen and you can find virus/malware downloads in the malware hub. Make sure your running a VM when testing so your not actively infecting a functioning system.

P

Plexx

Welcome to the forums.

One thing to note: Ensure while testing, the Virtual Machine is set on Bridge connection and not NAT. Also try to have the network isolated.

Apart from that I actually suggest you look into some videos under the video reviews section of the forum until you are fully comfortable with it.

Finally, please post your knowledge, risk and security configuration under the security configuration section of the forum.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello and welcome!:D
You can read this thread for starter .... http://malwaretips.com/Thread-What-I-have-to-know-about-malware-before-start-testing-security-software
How would you rate yourself when it comes to PC security knowledge (beginner, medium , advanced?)

Do you know the answers to this very simple questions (without Google-ing!)?

What is system32?
How can you start a computer in Safe Mode ?
What buttons do you need to press to start the Run command?
Can you name 3 ways you can start the Windows TaskManager?Can you identify using the Windows Task Manager , a malicious process running in memory ?
What is and where can you find a Hosts file?
What is Patch Guard and Kernel?

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
This place is a Treasure Trove of info, welcome and enjoy your stay.
There's always someone to lend a hand if you need any help :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Biozfear said:
One thing to note: Ensure while testing, the Virtual Machine is set on Bridge connection and not NAT. Also try to have the network isolated.

I don't agree with this.

In bridged mode, the VM is able to send/receive packets directly to/from your network card. Your VM will be just another machine on your network. Any other machines on your network can see and interact with this VM! -Not what I would want if I was testing malware on the VM-

With NAT, your VM will be on its own isolated network, with the host acting as a gateway. Any other machines on your network will not be able to interact with the VM.

P

Plexx

My mistake. I got it the other way around. My apologies. The default settings on VM is on NAT. Had to go home to check it since I was at work when I posted the above.

Thanks HeffeD for noticing my mistake.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
I usually run it on a paranoid state, if the AV I'm testing has downloadable definitions (most do) I don't allow any NET connection.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
Thank You. It looks like a great site, I hope I can learn alot more about malware and it's removal. I'm a PC/network for a company in NYC and I'm just starting to learn about malware.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
It is a great site, with tons of info. I'm just starting to learn about malware. Thanks.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
Biozfear said:
Welcome to the forums.

Apart from that I actually suggest you look into some videos under the video reviews section of the forum until you are fully comfortable with it.

Finally, please post your knowledge, risk and security configuration under the security configuration section of the forum.

Thanks for the info. I'm using a dedicated machine for infection and malware removal. What do you mean, "have the network isolated"?
Thanks

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
Jack said:
Hello and welcome!:D
You can read this thread for starter .... http://malwaretips.com/Thread-What-I-have-to-know-about-malware-before-start-testing-security-software
How would you rate yourself when it comes to PC security knowledge (beginner, medium , advanced?)

Do you know the answers to this very simple questions (without Google-ing!)?

What is system32?
How can you start a computer in Safe Mode ?
What buttons do you need to press to start the Run command?
Can you name 3 ways you can start the Windows TaskManager?Can you identify using the Windows Task Manager , a malicious process running in memory ?
What is and where can you find a Hosts file?
What is Patch Guard and Kernel?

I'm a beginer when it comes to computer security. I know a little bit. I'm going to try to sign up for one of the online malware courses.
I knew what the system32 folder was, how to start in safe mode, and only 2 ways to start task manager. I do not know how to Identify a malicious process running in memory. I did know a little about the host file, and the kernel, but I didn't know what patch guard was. I have looked it all up now.
Thanks

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Hello Welcome to the forums. I recommend at you do NOT download malware. If you are doing testing then do NOT use a actual machine, use a virtual machine. The MalwareTips forums are pretty easy just follow the rules and you won't have many problems. If you have a question about MalwareTips contact a administrator or moderator through PM and they will help.

Once again welcome.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
How do I install malware for testing/removal

Operating system: XPSP3
Architecture: 32 bit
Antivirus software and on-demand scanners on this system : AVG 2012
Malwarebytes
Spybot

I run AVG @3AM everyday. I run Spybot & Malwarebytes every few days.
Date and how issue started: Today. Can't infect computer.
Current issues and symptoms: I can't figure out how to infect the computer with the virus. I'm trying to install the Live security Platinum malware from the virus exchange section of this website. After I unzip the file, I try to run or install it, and it say's "windows cannot open this file. Pick a program to open this file". What program do I need to install the malware?
Steps taken in order to remove the infection: I haven't been able to get the malware installed on my machine yet.

I have a test computer set up for practice malware removal. I've downloaded the Live security Platinum file. I then extracted the file to a folder called, "test malware install" When I try to install it, it say's, "windows cannot open this file". What program do I need to install the malware? How do I install the live security Platinum malware on my computer so I can practice removing it?

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
Hello Welcome to the forums. I recommend at you do NOT download malware. If you are doing testing then do NOT use a actual machine, use a virtual machine. The MalwareTips forums are pretty easy just follow the rules and you won't have many problems. If you have a question about MalwareTips contact a administrator or moderator through PM and they will help.

Once again welcome.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to install virtual box on the test machine and run the malware from it. I still don't know how to install the malware files from the virus exchange. Can anyone tell me how to install these files?

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Acenyc said:
Thanks for the info. I'm going to install virtual box on the test machine and run the malware from it. I still don't know how to install the malware files from the virus exchange. Can anyone tell me how to install these files?

You need a image file of a machine (VHD, ISO, ect.) for virtualbox. I know how you can get a trial of windows xp mode in virtualbox. I still recommend you do not download and install malware. Watch some YouTube videos for people doing anti-malware tests so you don't have to install malware and put your computer and other computers at risk.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
Acenyc said:

You need a image file of a machine (VHD, ISO, ect.) for virtualbox. I know how you can get a trial of windows xp mode in virtualbox. I still recommend you do not download and install malware. Watch some YouTube videos for people doing anti-malware tests so you don't have to install malware and put your computer and other computers at risk.

I'm testing the malware on an old machine I don't care about. Once I install the malware and If I can't remove it, I'll just do a clean install. I will install virtualbox and run the malware from there over the weekend. I'm trying to install the live security Platinum virus from this link from the virus exchange section from this website:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Rogue-Software-Live-Security-Platinum-with-new-icon
I downloaded the file, then extracted it to a folder. When I try to run or install it, it says "windows can't open this file". How do I install the malware on the computer?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Acenyc said:
I'm testing the malware on an old machine I don't care about. Once I install the malware and If I can't remove it, I'll just do a clean install. I will install virtualbox and run the malware from there over the weekend. I'm trying to install the live security Platinum virus from this link from the virus exchange section from this website:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Rogue-Software-Live-Security-Platinum-with-new-icon
I downloaded the file, then extracted it to a folder. When I try to run or install it, it says "windows can't open this file". How do I install the malware on the computer?

Sorry to say but if you have no idea on how and what you are doing with malware I would really recommend not play with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.