help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
McLovin said:
Acenyc said:
I'm testing the malware on an old machine I don't care about. Once I install the malware and If I can't remove it, I'll just do a clean install. I will install virtualbox and run the malware from there over the weekend. I'm trying to install the live security Platinum virus from this link from the virus exchange section from this website:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Rogue-Software-Live-Security-Platinum-with-new-icon
I downloaded the file, then extracted it to a folder. When I try to run or install it, it says "windows can't open this file". How do I install the malware on the computer?

Sorry to say but if you have no idea on how and what you are doing with malware I would really recommend not play with it.

How am I going to learn if I don't try, and someone doesn't help me or show me. I'm sure somebody gave you information along the way. I'm a PC/network tech in NYC. I know alot about computers, I'm just kinda new to understanding and removing malware. I have the tools and utilities I need to try. I've watched many videos and I'm just going to follow the instructions from some removal guides. Are you saying you won't show me how to install that virus on my machine? It's an old test computer.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Acenyc said:
Are you saying you won't show me how to install that virus on my machine?

Yes that is correct, but I bet other people will show you.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
McLovin said:
Acenyc said:
Are you saying you won't show me how to install that virus on my machine?

Yes that is correct, but I bet other people will show you.

Can I ask why you won't show me? How did you learn how to install malware so you could practice removing it?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Acenyc said:
Can I ask why you won't show me? How did you learn how to install malware so you could practice removing it?

I experimented, by installing and and opening everything I could, (on a spare machine of coruse ;)) then I installed Malwarebytes and went from there. I also watch a hell of a lot of videos before I started.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: How do I install malware for testing/removal

Acenyc said:
Operating system: XPSP3
Architecture: 32 bit
Antivirus software and on-demand scanners on this system : AVG 2012
Malwarebytes
Spybot

I run AVG @3AM everyday. I run Spybot & Malwarebytes every few days.
Date and how issue started: Today. Can't infect computer.
Current issues and symptoms: I can't figure out how to infect the computer with the virus. I'm trying to install the Live security Platinum malware from the virus exchange section of this website. After I unzip the file, I try to run or install it, and it say's "windows cannot open this file. Pick a program to open this file". What program do I need to install the malware?
Steps taken in order to remove the infection: I haven't been able to get the malware installed on my machine yet.

I have a test computer set up for practice malware removal. I've downloaded the Live security Platinum file. I then extracted the file to a folder called, "test malware install" When I try to install it, it say's, "windows cannot open this file". What program do I need to install the malware? How do I install the live security Platinum malware on my computer so I can practice removing it?
You can't run the Live Security Platinum file because it doesn't end in .exe.The good guys from malwaretips.com have changed the extension of the sample (from .exe to .vir) so that users who don't know what they are doing , won't get infected.........
Before:
[attachment=1615]
After:
[attachment=1616]
IF you had enabled the 'Show file extension' option , you would easily be able to see that....
Quick answer: Right click on it...and add a .exe in the end...
Good answer: Maybe you should learn a bit about Windows and Malware and then actually start running malware...

Attachments

• before.png
    before.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 439
  • after.png
    after.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 443

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Quick answer: Right click on it...and add a .exe in the end...
Good answer: Maybe you should learn a bit about Windows and Malware and then actually start running malware...

:+1:

Easiest thing on computer is to infect your system and hardest thing is cleaning the system,imagine you are not able to install it and uninstalling it completely will a real horrible steps for you.

P

Plexx

I understand you wish to learn and I am fine with it, since I learnt it all by myself as well but before even attempting to go straight to a Fake AV, i would strongly suggest you have a look at some video reviews to see how the usual process is first etc.

testing malware and a product defenses/features etc is not simply done by infecting with malware and thats it.

You will need to understand exactly how do the features of the security solution you are using, how is their real time protection against full scan/context scan, additional features and are they linked to other features etc etc.

So the best advice we have for you and to show you the ropes is watch the videos first and take it from there.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Biozfear said:
i would strongly suggest you have a look at some video reviews to see how the usual process is first etc.

So the best advice we have for you and to show you the ropes is watch the videos first and take it from there.

Just like I said earlier.
In my opinion if you did not know how to make the live security platinum work then I suggest you do not download and install malware.

List of AV testers:
  • ThePCSecurity
  • Malware Geek
  • Languy99
  • Mrizos
  • TheBuckBull

These people are all on YouTube and had at least two years of experience. They all use a virtual environment that can be reset at any time during the test if needed and know what products to use for removing malware.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
Biozfear said:
I understand you wish to learn and I am fine with it, since I learnt it all by myself as well but before even attempting to go straight to a Fake AV, i would strongly suggest you have a look at some video reviews to see how the usual process is first etc.

testing malware and a product defenses/features etc is not simply done by infecting with malware and thats it.

You will need to understand exactly how do the features of the security solution you are using, how is their real time protection against full scan/context scan, additional features and are they linked to other features etc etc.

Thanks. I'm going to take your advice.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
Biozfear said:
i would strongly suggest you have a look at some video reviews to see how the usual process is first etc.

Just like I said earlier.
In my opinion if you did not know how to make the live security platinum work then I suggest you do not download and install malware.

List of AV testers:
  • ThePCSecurity
  • Malware Geek
  • Languy99
  • Mrizos
  • TheBuckBull

These people are all on YouTube and had at least two years of experience. They all use a virtual environment that can be reset at any time during the test if needed and know what products to use for removing malware.

The only reason I didn't know to run it as an EXE file is because I've never done this before. This is the first time I ever tried to install malware on a machine and practice removing it. I did know what the VIR extension was.
There's a guy named Britec09 on youtube that has posted over 400 malware tutorials, and their all excellent. This is the link

http://www.youtube.com/user/Britec09/videos

I've watched about 100 of them. I've also looked at many of the malware removal instructions on the blog section of this website. I have alot of tools and utilities, so I think I can learn how to do this just as much as anyone. I'm using an old Dell 4300s that I don't care about, and I'm going to install virtual box on it on Friday. I know I can learn this, and I'm going to try.
Thanks

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
McLovin said:
Acenyc said:
I'm testing the malware on an old machine I don't care about. Once I install the malware and If I can't remove it, I'll just do a clean install. I will install virtualbox and run the malware from there over the weekend. I'm trying to install the live security Platinum virus from this link from the virus exchange section from this website:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Rogue-Software-Live-Security-Platinum-with-new-icon
I downloaded the file, then extracted it to a folder. When I try to run or install it, it says "windows can't open this file". How do I install the malware on the computer?

Sorry to say but if you have no idea on how and what you are doing with malware I would really recommend not play with it.

I do know about computers, and I want to learn this stuff and I'm going to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.