Henopied's possible config for father

Henopied

Thread author
Jul 20, 2015
This is a configuration I though might be adequate in protecting my father from malicious downloads. The reason that I just finished cleaning his computer was he had no protection besides windows defender. Luckily for me just running this current setup cleaned it.

Reactions: Rogueabc

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I think it is a good config for your Father.Is he experienced or does he just use the PC for email,browsing and or online shopping?
You could consider adding an additional browser
Some type of backup solution & CCleaner

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Kaspersky AV is good one. If your dad is a computer enthusiast, go ahead with Qihoo or otherwise stick with Kaspersky. If security is main concern, consider switching to Linux for max security. Since you've 8.1 Win Defender fulfils your needs with set and forget rule.
Kaspersky Rescue 10 neutralises all infection outside Windows Environment by booting into linux to remove infections, just add it in ur arsenal to fight against malwares.

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Simple config, mostly being install and forget. Good choices, indeed.
Just consider adding an adblocker for Opera (I highly recommend uBlock).
Thanks for sharing.

Henopied

Thread author
Jul 20, 2015
Kaspersky AV is good one. If your dad is a computer enthusiast, go ahead with Qihoo or otherwise stick with Kaspersky. If security is main concern, consider switching to Linux for max security. Since you've 8.1 Win Defender fulfils your needs with set and forget rule.
Kaspersky Rescue 10 neutralises all infection outside Windows Environment by booting into linux to remove infections, just add it in ur arsenal to fight against malwares.
My father needs windows for some of his trading software. And I will defiantly use kaspersky rescue for serious infections as I have heard good things about it.

I think it is a good config for your Father.Is he experienced or does he just use the PC for email,browsing and or online shopping?
You could consider adding an additional browser
Some type of backup solution & CCleaner
I forgot to list CCleaner. And when it comes to malware prevention he is a novice.
Thank you for the info :)

njonji

Jul 20, 2015
Yeah definitely add some adblocker, not just because they are annoying, he could click on one that says he won something and also because of malwaretising.

You should also consider something like Secunia PSI that will automatically keep the important software on his PC updated, unless you plan to do that regularly for him.

Reactions: Rolo

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Yeah definitely add some adblocker, not just because they are annoying, he could click on one that says he won something and also because of malwaretising.
Beat me to it. Yes, definitely AdGuard or Adblock (the former being faster).

I'm partial to Chrome, especially for security (though I haven't' used Opera in ages, so I don't know if it keeps tabs as separate processes now).

Trading software (and definitely brokerage sites) tend to use java, et. al. so ensure those auto-update.

Henopied

Thread author
Jul 20, 2015

You should also consider something like Secunia PSI that will automatically keep the important software on his PC updated, unless you plan to do that regularly for him.
Secunia PSI is very interesting indeed thank you for telling me about it.

I'm partial to Chrome, especially for security (though I haven't' used Opera in ages, so I don't know if it keeps tabs as separate processes now).

Trading software (and definitely brokerage sites) tend to use java, et. al. so ensure those auto-update.
oVjwWp7.png

5 empty tabs 6 processes. And about his trading software I know it does not use java because I have not installed it yet but I do know most of his applications run on windows exclusively (wine may or may not work...) Thank you for you input! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

njonji

Jul 20, 2015
Glad to help you :)

Btw. I hope you know that only the paid version of hitmanpro.alert protects against exploits, ransomware etc. link to version comparison , the free one is useless compared to lets say Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, whose free version protects all browsers and addons in them and Java, very lightweight and no configuration or maintenance needed.

Henopied

Thread author
Jul 20, 2015
Glad to help you :)

Btw. I hope you know that only the paid version of hitmanpro.alert protects against exploits, ransomware etc. link to version comparison , the free one is useless compared to lets say Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, whose free version protects all browsers and addons in them and Java, very lightweight and no configuration or maintenance needed.
Yes, I was aware of this currently I am still within the trial period once it expires I will defiantly upgrade.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Qihoo 360 TS is totally fine for your system as long their QVM and cloud does not produce false positives, it can be already straightforward configuration.

No need to add Avira Browser Security when Qihoo plugin is included.

Provide backups as your own schedule preferences with software like Macrium Reflect/AOIMEI Backupper or built in from Windows.

Reactions: JM Safe and Oxygen

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi, I suggest you to install Auslogics Disk Defrag, to improve the speed of your PC and PrivaZer for privacy.
Finally you can add a second browser.
You can also install Collusion extension, which let you know which sites are tracking you.
Thanks for sharing it ;)

njonji

Jul 20, 2015
Hi, I suggest you to install Auslogics Disk Defrag, to improve the speed of your PC and PrivaZer for privacy.
You can also install Collusion extension, which let you know which sites are tracking you.
Thanks for sharing it ;)

I would recommend against installing defrag programs since they are mostly useless because Windows 7 and higher automatically defrag all your hard drives periodically except your SSDs (for good reason).
Also, since he has uBlock on his list which supports filter lists that block various trackers etc. , I don't think he needs those privacy and tracking addons, they would be redundant, just using up resources for no added benefit over uBlock ;)

Henopied

Thread author
Jul 20, 2015
Thanks for sharing it ;)
It is an ssd :p and I also have avira along with ublock as he said so I think i'm fine. Thank you for the suggestions! :)

Reactions: JM Safe

Henopied

Thread author
Jul 20, 2015

Somewhat off topic but chrome by default is still susceptible to logjam while opera isn't by default source: https://www.ssllabs.com/

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Defrag/not defrag isn't binary; there are many gradations of defragmenting and Windows' built-in defrag is at the lowest. Pretty much any defragmenting program is better; I personally use MyDefrag.

Reactions: JM Safe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.