Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
It's also nonsense that Google gets more control. Control about what?
Simple to understand for everyone: Google just want to earn more money and simply allowing to display more ads on almost all websites around the web...

Of course, from your point of view, all doesn't matter as your devices blocks all ads on DNS level, but that doesn't work for standard users as those people are unable to setup properly any device and just using default settings. Finally, Google is the winner to control the web more than before!

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I didn't notice performance impact from these extensions. And this goes for my low end laptop of the past which couldn't play 720p videos for more than 2 hours. Whatever the "performance impact" was, wasn't something that was noticed in real life use unless its malicious or poorly designed extensions. This wasn't issue for all those years but now all of a sudden when computers are more powerful than ever, the "performance issue" is more negligible than ever, google cares for performance of poor users. If they cared for performance so much, then why not provide an option of "click to load" for html5 videos? One thing I liked about flash in its last years.
Its just some excuse. Majority of their income is from ads so of course they'll want to limit it. Its simple logic.
With that said 300k is sufficient for me for now. If there's some other limitations of types of filters you can use or types of things you can block compared to with manifest v2, can someone tell?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Gorhill (author of uBlock Origin) doesnt agree with this, it is all about Google having more control, the speed and security aspects are just afterthoughts.
From a security point of view it is madness that extensions can inject user scripts, change content security policies of websites and perform redirects. So when the browser gains control, this is control I would like my browser to implement anyway.

I understand mr Gorhill that he argues against it as a extension programmer having to deal with additional restrictions, I also agree with Mr Gorhill that Google used false arguments (performance), but to deny that Manifest V3 is not a security enhancement is nonsense.

1608300545401.png

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
As you can see in post nr. 23 about 30,000 rules from the Adguard Annoyances list are not used when cosmetic filtering is disabled.
I tried it myself:
The optimized list has 21,279 rules at the moment.
With cosmetic filtering disabled 2,994 rules are used (18,285 not in use) on my system.
So it does matter, thanks (y)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

Excerpt here:

Google has shared the phase-out timeline for Manifest V2 Chrome extensions and its plans to bring Manifest V3 to full feature parity.

Extension capabilities are restricted using a mechanism called extension manifest. Google made available the new version, Manifest V3, when Chrome 88 was announced earlier this year.

Google first revealed the future Manifest V3 changes through a provisional document in 2019, which announced the removal of webRequest API blocking options and requirements for content blockers to switch to declarativeNetRequest.

"Years in the making, Manifest V3 is more secure, performant, and privacy-preserving than its predecessor," said David Li, Product Manager for Chrome Extensions & Chrome Web Store.

"It is an evolution of the extension platform that takes into consideration both the changing web landscape and the future of browser extensions."

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Google has been working on a new extension manifest, Manifest v3, for quite some time. The company introduced support for the new manifest version in Chrome 88, released earlier in 2021, and has now revealed plans to phase out support for extensions that use Manifest v2.

According to the timeline that Google posted, Chrome's Web Store will block new Manifest V2 extensions from being accepted from January 17, 2022 onward. Updates for existing Manifest V2 extensions can still be submitted and these will be updated normally. Private extensions, those with the private visibility setting, can still be submitted as Manifest V2 extensions.

In June 2022, private extensions will no longer be accepted as well. Updates for existing Manifest V2 extensions are still allowed.

In January 2023, Chrome will no longer accept Manifest V2 extension updates in the Chrome web browser. Google's web browser will stop running Manifest V2 extensions, but there is an Enterprise policy which extends support by six months.

In June 2023 finally, that Enterprise policy is removed and any version of Google Chrome won't run Manifest V2 extensions anymore.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard Blog : Objects in Manifest V3 are closer than they appear — and it's not good news
Finally, we have a timeline for the inevitable doomsday. Google clarified the timeline for introducing Manifest V3. January 2022 will mark the end of all new Chrome browser extension submissions that still employ Manifest V2, and after January 2023 these extensions will stop working, period.

What is MV3 and how bad is it?
For those out of the loop: Manifest V3 is a name for the new upcoming browser extension API, essentially a large set of changes that will determine the next generation of Chrome browser extensions. We've already mentioned Manifest V3 in our blog a few times, and rarely in a positive way. The goal, as it's stated by Google developers, is to "make extensions more secure, as well as performant". Security concerns are always listed as one of the main reasons behind Manifest V3, with claims that Chrome browser extensions possess too much browser and activity access. Which is not false — extensions indeed can do quite powerful stuff, and not always to the benefit of their user. But is dumbing them down a proper solution?

Unfortunately, this "dumbing down" is bound to commence. Chrome devs decided to solve the security problem by stripping extensions of access rights to web requests and, therefore, of many useful capabilities. Nearly all browser extensions as you know them today will be affected in some way: the more lucky ones will "only" experience problems, some will get crippled, and some will literally cease to exist. Where's AdGuard ad blocker extension on this scale of digital punishment?

Manifest V3 and AdGuard
First of all, let us tell you about our immediate plans. We're currently overhauling the entire thing in order to move it to a new, better filtering engine. The first beta version is coming very soon, but it's not too late to join the fun: just install our beta Chrome extension. On a sad note, it will be rendered useless for users of Chromium-based browsers after January 2023. All the benefits will remain for other browsers' users to enjoy, though. -based browsersAnd if you're a user of an AdGuard desktop or mobile app, why are you even reading this? You're completely fine and have nothing to worry about.

Second of all, in aticipation of Manifest V3 we're already working on a prototype for the new ad blocker extension, and let me tell you — it's hard. Manifest V3 is still raw, some things just don't yet work the way they were designed to. But we'll manage, as we always do, so hopefully you'll be able to compare the quality of the old and the new extensions soon. Will it become worse? Almost undeniably, but not by too much. The real victims in this transition are filter developers — most filter lists are maintained by single developers, who more often than not work on filters for free in their spare time. It will be not feasible for many of them to single-handedly rework the entire list to match the Manifest V3 requirements. We already discussed this threat in one of our previous articles.

What'll happen after 2023? Our bet is that Firefox will keep extensions made with Manifest V2 in their store, for a while at least. There probably is a point somewhere in the future when Mozilla will move to something else, whatever it will turn out to be. And the rest of the Chromium-based browsers will start migrating to Manifest V3. Even the ones that express their readiness to stick to MV2 and support backwards compatibility won't be able to do that forever.

There is a small ray of hope represented by the W3C workgroup, where browser and browser extension developers discuss all kinds of possible improvements. At the very least it provides a feeling of being listened to and heard, but such things rarely work fast. It's unclear when we'll see any real positive changes. Meanwhile, our advice is to go and block some ads — you never know when you'll get deprived of this opportunity.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I am waiting with anticipation to see what Mr. Hill is going to do, how he will respond, and how it will ultimately impact uBlock Origin, and also AdGuard and other content blockers that are simply necessities. Thankfully, he still has some time.

🙏

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
If this applies to all chromium-based browsers, it will kill a majority of Chrome and Edge users, which will be forced to either use a system-wide adblocker (like AdGuard PC) or migrate to a different browser. I know for a fact I won't be forced to consume ads, I don't care whose.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Might be an interesting (short)read for how Mozilla has responded to this. It's not that they will keep supporting Manifest v2, if they succeed in partially engineering v3 without the restrictions. Or at least that's how it looks like, granted all functionality they want actually works in accordance with cooperation from popular AMO extension developers.

03 Sept. 2019

27 May 2021

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If this applies to all chromium-based browsers, it will kill a majority of Chrome and Edge users, which will be forced to either use a system-wide adblocker (like AdGuard PC) or migrate to a different browser. I know for a fact I won't be forced to consume ads, I don't care whose.
Brave will most likely gain significant market share if the outlook doesn't change. Maybe FF too. Gorhill is asking for help to craft a solution since he doesn't see one, e.g. the Noop rule will vanish, making dynamic blocking impossible. I don't know what M$ is thinking when they say V3 poses no issues. What's in the future for Edge???

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

The big problem for adblocking extensions is that the Static filters can only be updated when the extension is updated.

Edge uses the Disconnect data base (with less than 5000 rules) it has no problem updating the filters, since these filters focus on (third-party) ad and tracking networks (like my own list). This approach requires very little rule maintenance. In the worst case scenario Microsoft could always push a browser update.

Dynamic filters can be updated and used over sessions, but the problem is that they are limited in numbers (less than 5000 when I recall correctly)

Microsoft already has a local version of rules like websites with excessive advertising list (Edge/User Data/Ad blocking) and the old place where the disconnect lists were stored (Edge/User Data/Trust Protection Lists). It can use these sets for ad hoc corrections and overrules to correct any website breakage.

So Microsoft has no problem with manifest V3, same applies for the build-in anti-tracking feature of Firefox.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.