Here's a test for you Anti-Virus Testers!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I'm always thinking of things to help MT members. Some times I'm a dollar short and a day late, so if this has already been posted it may be deleted. I think it has some good tests that may reveal how safe are you.
GRC has been around for ages, so I'm sure members here are aware of it. Any way here's some thumb nails of how I fared with the tests. I'm not suggesting you buy any thing, just use the freeware tests and see how secure your PC is.;) Just click on the freeware at the top and take the tests. Here's my results!! Looks good to me. I passed them all. Hope you do also!!
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Hi Here's some help!

Hi I hadn't been to GRC lately. I ran this test. I have no idea what it means. I had all green check marks except this one??

OOPS! I didn't pass this one!:eek::eek:. Better get a better fire wall!!! Anyone agree?? However if it can't get in, don't need to worry about it getting out. MBAM usually stops out going, so not to worried about that!!
PS My thread doesn't seem to be drawing much interest. It's probably old tooth to all you geru's.
Anyway I found GRC very interesting, even if there trying to sell you some thing. They are a bit pricy with there software.:(;)

Attachments

• Capture108.JPG
    Capture108.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 537
  • Capture109.JPG
    Capture109.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 527
  • Capture110.JPG
    Capture110.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 537
  • Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 555
  • Capture111.JPG
    Capture111.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 546
  • Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 510
Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most home networks should be protected by their Router with a Hardware Firewall.

upload_2014-12-14_20-35-57.png

That's as much as I understand. It has nothing to do with which Antivirus software you're running, but maybe if you haven't a hardware firewall. :confused:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
That's as much as I understand. It has nothing to do with which Antivirus software you're running, but maybe if you haven't a hardware firewall. :confused:
Hi Huracan! Thanks for your reply. I do have a wireless router. I'm using MSE and MBAM Pro. I'm thinking MSE turns off windows defender.
Do you think I need a 3rd party firewall??
Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 459

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Windows Firewall (Windows 7 with no updates) + Avast Free

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 465
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Not sure what this is all about. Just know mine was enabled and I disabled it.

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 445

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Not getting many replies! OH well I try to make a hand on MT!

Good job @eight! How goes the rest of GRC tests???;)

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 437
Reactions: frogboy

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I have been informed that some members maybe afraid of the site!
Steve Gibson has been around the computer world for ever. You can trust that site!!
https://www.grc.com/stevegibson.htm

f it is not too much trouble can you post direct links to the rest of GRC tests like you did in post # 1 :rolleyes:
I will try! You just have to browse around to find all the free test that Steve offers. Start here! Do all the tests that the arrows point to!
Thanks for your reply! Will attach Full image as I already posted the thumb nail.;) I hope this helps. There are a lot of good tests at GRC.
Steve has dedicated his life to research and improving the computer world for users.
Capture48.JPG

Hi! I would never post any thing on MT that would cause any member here a problem. I love MT and I only want to help and pass forward things I have learned. You will not get any PUP's or Viruses from that site. All the tests down loads can be easily removed from your down loads folder after you're done. If there is a problem, I sure am not aware of one.:(. I have used that site for years and I have been around the block a couple of times.;) If you find that GRC caused you any kind of problem, please let me know! I have made many new friends here on MT and I would never post a link that would cause a problem.
Thanks!

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
first of all thanks for your time... well, this post has nothing to do with antimalware or antivirus product, these tests are intended for firewalls or IDS systems, neither MBAM, AVIRA etc .... are designed to block such attacks... :D as @Huracan said, most of the users are protected by their home routers if you want to really test if your firewall works or no... then connect via ethernet directly to the wired network in your modem with out no router. most of the AV suites that includes a firewall, they protect against these attacks becuase they are very essentials...

however you can see if your firewall is doing what it is supposed to do by making this test (directly from the newtwork) /actually even windows built in firewall is able to protect users in a normal standard/

About the test that shows an error /test failed/, it is because the program used to do that is harmless i mean it has no malicious payload whithin it. Most of the firewalls are based on BB elements which means that if a program start to do something out of the normal they will inmediatly block the connection or neutralize the element. this is because some programs that are legal may use or may behave in a weird manner but it doesnt mean that it is malicious... dont know if i explain myself

If it is not too much trouble can you post direct links to the rest of GRC tests like you did in post # 1 :rolleyes:
No, it is not possible, every test is generated in a different way (in real time), so giving a specific url will show you an error...

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks for your reply @gricardo21 .Maybe staff could change the title of the thread, as you say it has nothing to do with Anti-Virus.
I'm still learning new things every day. It would be OK if MT staff changed the title of this thread. My time is free and does not cost any thing. I admit I do not understand all the tests that GRC offers, but truly believe that the tests can be helpful to MT members.
Thanks for your reply!
PS I truly believe if you do all the free tests that GRC offers, you will feel better about your on line time; if you pass all of Steve's tests!
Please make a back up image of your OS today. I always have to say that. It makes me feel good. If I could get every MT member to create a back up image of their OS on a external drive; I would be a happy camper!;) It's in my signature!

Reactions: kiric96

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
When it was designed in 1999, it was very popular and useful at that time. However, it is not useful now. Almost all firewalls can block port scans, and those that don't should be dumped. Also, such port scans from the internet are not reliable as you might be behind your ISP's servers, which blocks the port scans even before reaching your router. Regarding the browser header, yes, it might be useful to see what your browser is saying about you, but this technology is long outdated. In the past, the browser headers were the way to go for advertisers to track you, but it was very easy to spoof and nowadays its newer technology like flash cookies etc.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
When it was designed in 1999, it was very popular and useful at that time. However, it is not useful now. Almost all firewalls can block port scans, and those that don't should be dumped. Also, such port scans from the internet are not reliable as you might be behind your ISP's servers, which blocks the port scans even before reaching your router. Regarding the browser header, yes, it might be useful to see what your browser is saying about you, but this technology is long outdated. In the past, the browser headers were the way to go for advertisers to track you, but it was very easy to spoof and nowadays its newer technology like flash cookies etc.
Hi Thanks for your reply! Are you saying that this site is no longer useful? Are there not other useful tests on GRC. I admit I'm not a expert on these things. I think that Steve Gibson is still active and still doing a lot of research on these things. There is more here than just port scans!
Thanks for your reply!
PS This site(GRC) has been up dated sense I was made aware of it(2004(. I personally think its a great site.

Reactions: frogboy

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Here are my results. i might have to look into the firewall problem also. View attachment 37031 View attachment 37032 View attachment 37034 View attachment 37033

It is not the firewall's problem. This was a test designed in 2005, which uses the technique of masquerading its process name as that of a trusted process to "bypass" firewalls. A pretty lame trick in today's world, where most firewalls use hashes to identify processes. The only reason why your firewall failed is because your firewall is smart enough to know that the GRC leak test is safe and allowed the connection automatically. At least that is the case with Norton and Kaspersky's firewalls.

As for the rest (Shoot the messenger, UnPlug etc.) it is simply hardening your PC against specific techniques. Slightly more useful in my opinion.

M

MalwareT

Unnecessary for my reviews i wanted to use them but there's no point.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Thanks for the heads upon that. I knew nothing of PC in 2005 had never even turned one on. :D:D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks for the heads upon that. I knew nothing of PC in 2005 had never even turned one on. :D:D
Hi! I turned my first PC on in 2004. Was the biggest mistake I ever made.:):)

The only reason why your firewall failed is because your firewall is smart enough to know that the GRC leak test is safe and allowed the connection automatically. At least that is the case with Norton and Kaspersky's firewalls.
Hi! Good to know that! So you're saying I don't need to worry about not passing that test? I think @Huracan was trying to tell me me that also.I just didn't understand.
Thanks for your reply!

E

eight

Old test / New test, I sure did learn something very important from the tests suggested by Donetao & I am

definitely going to keep it in mind the next time I do a clean install of Windows on my computer.

Do all the tests yourself to discover what I am speaking of, you got nothing to lose.

The best part is that they are all really fast & they are all for FREE :cool:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I liked how emphasis was addressed upon the importance of ones firewall, and therefore a greater (and needed) awareness, which can often be taken for granted before running safe tests such as these.;):cool:

Update: I found Cch123's observation: "The only reason why your firewall failed is because your firewall is smart enough to know that the GRC leak test is safe and allowed the connection automatically." was very:eek: eye opening to witness a firewall being smart enough to fail!!:D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.