Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Read More : "I Contribute to the Windows Kernel. We Are Slower Than Other Operating Systems. Here Is Why."

I was explaining on Hacker News why Windows fell behind Linux in terms of operating system kernel performance and innovation. And out of nowhere an anonymous Microsoft developer who contributes to the Windows NT kernel wrote a fantastic and honest response acknowledging this problem and explaining its cause.

His post has been deleted! Why the censorship? I am reposting it here. This is too insightful to be lost.

[Edit: The anonymous poster himself deleted his post as he thought it was too cruel and did not help make his point, which is about the social dynamics of spontaneous contribution. However he let me know he does not mind the repost at the condition I redact the SHA1 hash info, which I did.]

[Edit: A second statement, apologetic, has been made by the anonymous person. See update at the bottom.]

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
an old and tiring subject.

windows is better than linux in every single way. wanna know why? give linux 99% of OS market share and watch it get hacked and infected by malware's like we're in 90's and linux is win 95...

people need to stop complaining and appreciate what windows really is.

Z

ZeroDay

woomera said:
an old and tiring subject.

windows is better than linux in every single way. wanna know why? give linux 99% of OS market share and watch it get hacked and infected by malware's like we're in 90's and linux is win 95...

people need to stop complaining and appreciate what windows really is.

Have you actually read the link? this is a windows dev giving his professional opinion not just any old user.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
The information given does not surprise me at all. It does not mean that I hate Windows now, but it reminds me of why I take Windows "crucial" security updates, etc. with a grain of salt. The Windows infrastructure is a sluggish beast in a subtle way. That is why I have drastically reduced programs that start with Windows, and axed many Windows services. They are way late on security updates as well. That is why they are so crucial.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its a matter of producing core kernel on how an Operating System works and being slow isn't noticeable when users hold from performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.