Hermes Ransomware Decrypted in Live Video by Emsisoft's Fabian Wosar

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Emsisoft CTO and Malware Researcher Fabian Wosar has stated in the past that he wanted to perform an educational live stream about reversing malware. Today, after GDaata security researcher Karsten Hahn discovered a new ransomware called Hermes, Fabian decided to use it as the sample for his first live streaming session.

The best part of it is that it turns out that this ransomware was able to be decrypted. This allowed those of us who were watching the live stream to get a first hand view of how a malware researcher analyzes and creates a decryptor for a new ransomware.

Fabian's Analysis shows that Hermes can be Decrypted
While analyzing the Hermes sample, Fabian found that the seed used to generate the encryption key could be attacked in order to create a decryptor. Once this was determined, Fabian displayed how this knowledge could be used to generate a key and a subsequent decryptor for encrypted files.

For those interested in this process, you can watch the full video, which is embedded below. I watched a good portion of the live stream today and it is an interesting way to gain a better insight as to how researchers analyze malware.

More details in the link above

W

Wave

Heads up, the video is a dozen hours long. I watched a bit live but it was going on for so long so I took a break and missed a lot of what went on, but it was still a good live stream and there's no denying that Fabian is good at what he does (e.g. malware analysis) and has a lot of experience it :)

Hopefully one day I can be on the level he is on now but it might take another 100 years haha

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.