Hewlett Packard PC Has Two Unkown Start up entries..?

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I have two start up entries listed as unknown. HP Adviser Unknown & HP Remote Unknown. 360 TS is not detecting anything on start up. Should I worry??:confused: Thanks!

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hi @marg both of those entries are safe but considered unnecessary, so removing them from starting up is completely optional.

Just to be extra, doubly safe however, would you mind running a quick scan just so I can double check the files for you?

If you could first download DDS from here and save it to your Desktop (DDS is a small program which makes a log of your computer so we can see whether you have any infections or not, it doesn't change any files, so it won't damage your computer at all).

Next, run the program and once finished, two Notepad windows will appear displaying logs. If you could attach these logs to your reply I will check them over for you and provide some advice (note that if I can see any malware, I'm not allowed to help you remove it, so I will pass you onto our dear cowboy friend ;))

Reactions: marg and Arakasi

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well if u have any problems with those two entries like delay startup or slow responsiveness in ur system then i would suggest u to disable them. If u are not sure of what to disable then i would recommend a program called PC Decrapfier.

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Will try... I don't think they are malicious though. A Tiranium full scan & 360 TS full scan came up Zero. They have been on my PC awhile though. Just wandering why 2 other HP start up items state Hewlett Packard & these say unknown?:confused:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Will try... I don't think they are malicious though. A Tiranium full scan & 360 TS full scan came up Zero. They have been on my PC awhile though. Just wandering why 2 other HP start up items state Hewlett Packard & these say unknown?:confused:

They're not malicious I can tell you that for a fact :D The reason they are coming up as unknown is because they haven't been added to the database of 360TS. So as far as 360ts is concerned, they could mean anything because not enough people using 360ts who have those files on their computer have reported "yes these are safe" and they haven't been added manually by the development team.

Reactions: marg

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Thank you so much Cowpipe! I did run DDS & nothing unusual popped up. I do have app data local listed : Superbird & Thunderbird, emieuserl list & emiesitel list but, neither one shows up when I run : %appdata% are these hidden somehow?:eek:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I had them on my start up before I disabled them.

HP is of course Hewlett Packard and as Mateotis says it`s just bundled blioatware.

Regards Eck:)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
nothing to worry about those 2 programs, you can disable them without problems

Reactions: marg

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Thanks! They don't seem to be interfering with anything so, I guess I will leave them be for now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.