Hey banks: Use Win XP after deadline? You'll PAY if card data's snaffled

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
DPA fines and Payment Card Industry fines, it all adds up – watchdog
Banks that use the Windows XP operating system will face a risk to their compliance with payment card data security rules if they continue to operate the software after Microsoft withdraws its extended support services, a US regulatory body has warned.
The UK's Information Commissioner has previously said that retailers that fail to store payment data in accordance with PCI DSS "or provide equivalent protection when processing customers' credit card details" could be held to be in breach of the Data Protection Act and be subject to fines.
In April UK consultancy firm Camwood said it was "worrying" that a 40 per cent of respondents to a survey it commissioned had said that their companies had "yet to even start migrating off XP" and said it was "even more shocking" that 20 per cent of respondents were not planning to do so at all.

Source #1 (RSS Feeds)
Source #2 (Out-Law.com)

Mod Edit: Fixed source.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I still have XP, and will continue to use it, but the banks definitely should not.
I tend to believe that only half of novices will get away from XP, and that is exaggerating, probably.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
In India, some govt. departments may be using win2000 or even win98 in their computers. Those computers are filled with lots of malwares, and they don't use Antivirus software/ outdated antivirus software which they rarely update ;)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
In India, some govt. departments may be using win2000 or even win98 in their computers. Those computers are filled with lots of malwares, and they don't use Antivirus software/ outdated antivirus software which they rarely update

Precisely. I think that poor security software choices for your OS, outdated OS or not, is much worse than hanging on to and old system. Most people don't have enough sense to use Avast instead of AVG, or Emsisoft instead of Kaspersky, or Sandboxie instead of some mediocre, piece of junk, middle of the road, security suite. There are 10's of millions of people, in the U.S.A. alone, that choose such inferior defense software.
There is no excuse because there are great options out there like F-Secure, ESET, etc. And for the novice that is a conservative consumer, and likes to save money: AVAST...........and the expert that likes to save money: CIS
There is plenty of great software out there that is not being utilized nearly enough. Even Webroot is turning heads lately, though I am not sold yet.
That said, there are a plethora of great options out there these days, but I think the novice is limited to Avast, and UAC, less they want to be wigged out all the time with notifications that they do not understand, or don't want to understand. And let us face it, there are just as many novices at banks and other businesses as there are at grandma and grandpa's house.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
"In India, some govt. departments may be using win2000 or even win98 in their computers. Those computers are filled with lots of malwares, and they don't use Antivirus software/ outdated antivirus software which they rarely update."

I agree,my uncle is CA and they doing Tax related work and one day he give me their laptop and laptop are infected,internet security, local internet security(not remember)expired 1 year before and not working but when i copy webroot installer to install webroot, now internet security proudly come and say webroot file is a virus :lolz:
at the last this is totally due to curruption and 0-5 % computer education.but i think some other countries are also facing same situation.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Edited source link once again because it was dead.
Change it to Rss feeds for OUT-LAW.COM since this is a third-party copyrighted article.

Enjoy!! :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Littlebits, http://theregister.co.uk would be better? Because I can't view RSS Feeds properly.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
@Littlebits, http://theregister.co.uk would be better? Because I can't view RSS Feeds properly.

You don't have to read the RSS feeds just click the link inside of it and it brings up the article directly in your browser. Going to http://theregister.co.uk is like trying to find a needle in a haystack when searching for the article.

The article is originally from OUT-LAW.COM, it is only hosted on TheRegister. I can not find the original article source on OUT-LAW.COM but it is there some place. That would be the best option to use if it can be found.

Thanks. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, Source #2 is better.

About Source #1 (RSS Feed) link, this is what I see:
SSFiQDy.png

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Yeah, Source #2 is better.

About Source #1 (RSS Feed) link, this is what I see:
SSFiQDy.png

Chrome does a terrible job displaying RSS Feeds, here is an image of the way Firefox displays them.

509F8Oh.png

Here is the way they are displayed in Internet Explorer 10:

aILc7OC.png

I never tried to view RSS Feeds with Chrome before, it really needs a better display because all other browsers can handle them correctly.
Maybe there is an extension that can read them that can be added.

Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.